Puppy Chow. Monkey Munch. Muddy Buddy Mix.
Crazy fun names. Crazy yum taste.
Mix that with a crazy baker and you just know I just had to make it into a cake.
Puppy Chow Cake
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powder sugar
- Pour 9 cups of cereal into a large bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Melt ingredients together in the microwave in 30-second increments until chocolate is just melted. Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate mixture right over the cereal and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Spoon half of cereal mixture into a gallon sized plastic bag. Cover cereal with 3/4 cup of powder sugar and then close bag tightly. Gently rotate and shake bag around to cover cereal with powder sugar. Repeat with remaining cereal and powder sugar.
- Store in airtight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
The hardest part about this cake was deciding how to make it. Do I make a layer of peanut butter? Should the outside be covered in powder sugar and the inside crispy chocolate? Should I just eat the entire bag of Puppy Chow and forget about the cake?
I mean no. Must focus.
I used The Best Chocolate Cake recipe for the cake. (Please just ignore all the pictures in that post. Talk about terrible!) Simply bake cakes in 9×9 inch square pans. I cut a 3-inch section off each cake after it had cooled, then placed the two 3-inch sections side by side for the center layer of the cake.
I made a 1/4 batch of this Classic Buttercream to spread in between the layers. I opted to not use any peanut butter frosting in the cake itself.
I think the flavor of the peanut butter is so subtle in the Puppy Chow that I didnt want to call special attention to it in the cake. If you decide to try it with some deliciously smooth PB, please do share your results!
Then a batch of this Rich Chocolate Buttercream to slather all over the cake. Cause like, slathering things over cake sounds fun right? Ok, ok. I will invest in a thesaurus and choose better descriptive words next time.
Here is a basic recipe for Puppy Chow, or Muddy Buddy Mix, or Monkey Munch. I got it right from the box of Rice Chex Cereal! (Which, oddly enough, is what my pregnancy cravings have been lately. Rice Chex Cereal. We go through a box a day around here. And by we I mean me.)
Oh.My.Goodness! Amanda! This is just genius! It’s beautiful and I know it’s delicious!!! This would be the biggest hit and ANY party!
Hope you’re feeling ok! ♥
Wow! That looks over-the-top sinfully delicious! Such a fun cake idea!
Great so far any New Years resolution of healthy eating has gone out the window and I’m running to the closet for my favorite pair of stretchy pants because I have to make this cake! Oh my dear deliciousness I must be in heaven!
Thank you for this amazing cake recipe! I added a little peanut butter to the basic buttercream recipe for the layers and it came out great! I mixed in about one tsp, then another, and had to add in another splash of milk to get it the right consistency. The taste was so subtle but so delicious!!!