A Paloma is a light, refreshing grapefruit-flavored cocktail that gets its kick from a shot of tequila. Using freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and lime juice makes it a little extra special. For another refreshing cocktail, try my Vodka Lemonade. recipe.
The Paloma is also known as ‘the working man’s drink’. I would add ‘working woman’s drink’ as well😊. It’s a cocktail that is tequila-based. This is such a popular drink that you can find it sold in cans! But, I encourage you to make your own. I stuck with the more traditional Paloma recipe here.
My Paloma recipe is kept pretty simple, but if you want a more complex Paloma drink, you could make a cantarito (a Paloma with added lemon juice and orange juice). I decided to add the salted rim, but that is optional.
Salt Rim Ingredients
- Grapefruit juice
Paloma Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Grapefruit juice
- Lime juice
- Club soda
How to Make a Paloma
I recommend a highball glass for this drink, but any glass will do. Set out two plates, squeezing fresh grapefruit juice on one plate and sprinkling salt on the other. Dip the rim of the glass into the grapefruit juice, followed by dipping it into the salt. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside while you shake the other ingredients together.
In a shaker filled with ice, add the grapefruit juice, sugar, lime juice, and tequila. Shake, and shake it a little more until it gets very cold and all the sugar has dissolved. Strain it over the salt-rimmed glass of ice and pour in the club soda. Garnish it with a grapefruit wedge and enjoy each sip!
Looking for More Homemade Alcoholic Beverages?
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces club soda
- Set out two plates. Pour the grapefruit juice on the first and the kosher salt on the second.
- Dip the rim of a chilled highball glass into the juice and then into the salt.
- Fill the highball glass with ice, set aside.
- In a shaker filled with ice, add grapefruit juice, lime juice, sugar, and tequila. Shake vigorously until very cold and all sugar is dissolved.
- Strain over ice and top with club soda.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.