This classic Peanut Butter Blossom cookie is one that everyone seems to love. A peanut butter cookie decorated with a sweet chocolate kiss. It is simply irresistible! If you like these you will also like my Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms as well as my perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe!
Peanut Butter Blossoms
What makes these the best? Simply put, because my grandma says so! She got the recipe from a gal at her church who used to bring them to every potluck and wedding. People loved them so much that whenever she would show up to an event she would have copies of the recipe written up to hand out. Come to find out that she got her recipe from a newspaper and that there is nothing especially special (that’s a mouthful) about them, only that they are a forever classic and one cookie that everyone adores. I mean, what’s not to love about peanut butter and chocolate?
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossoms
Because this recipe is such a classic, I don’t recommend straying far from the original. I have tried different variations, like the Hershey Kiss cookies that require chilling or the Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies and add the chocolate kiss before they are baked and even the Chocolate Kiss Thumbprint Cookies that use shortening instead of butter. In case you picked up on it already, those names are all versions of the same cookie, the Peanut Butter Blossom. And after trying all of the different ways to make them I kept coming back to grandma’s tried and true recipe. Don’t mess with perfection!
Peanut Butter Blossoms for a Cookie Exchange
I just don’t think a cookie exchange would be complete without this iconic cookie! Here are my tips to making sure that when you arrive it looks like you just stepped out of the kitchen. Your cookies are perfect and taste fresh out of the oven.
- Store cookies at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you need to store longer (no more than a week) you can add a piece of bread to the airtight container. The bread will dry out, but your cookies won’t!
- Don’t refrigerate peanut butter blossoms. Although it can keep the cookies fresher longer, you could change the appearance of the chocolate. Chocolate that is stored in the refrigerator can become dull looking as well as less flavorful.
- Try to find a container that is airtight. Make sure that you don’t stack too many layers on top of one another and be sure to use wax paper or parchment to separate the layers.
- Get creative with your sanding sugar! Of course, the granulated sugar works well, but you can create beautiful and unique cookies simply by adding a different color sugar to the outside of the cookie. See a picture below! (Try my Red Velvet version as well!)
A classic cookie that everyone loves!
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) salted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated (sanding) sugar, for rolling
- 1 bag Hershey's® Kisses milk chocolates (my grandma used chocolate stars)
Heat oven to 375°F.
In the bowl of your stand mixer (or in a bowl with a hand-held mixer) beat sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, and eggs on medium speed.
Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix until just combined.
Roll dough into large marble sized balls; then roll in additional granulated sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
Immediately press a chocolate star or Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie. Allow to cool and set for about 5 minutes then move to cooling rack.
Recipe Video[brid autoplay="true" video="385478" player="16518" title="Peanut Butter Blossoms" description="Peanut Butter Blossoms" duration="69" uploaddate="2019-02-27 12:54:41" thumbnailurl="//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/13014/thumb/385478_t_1551272041.png"]
If you happen to want to know Cookie Baking 101, don’t miss these tips on how to get the perfect cookie, every time!
Be sure to have fun with your sanding sugars! <3