Decadent rich chocolate paired with slightly tart rhubarb is one of the best brownies I have ever had! Be sure to check out my Homemade Brownie Recipe if you prefer straight-up chocolate!
Truth be told, I was the ONLY one in my family excited about these. My husband shook his head no when I presented the idea. The kids… they started gagging and acting like I wanted to feed them dead bugs or something.
But I just had a feeling they would be amazing.
And for once, I was right! There is something really magical about all the rich ooey gooey chocolate paired with the rhubarb. It’s truly a match made in heaven!
So what was the final consensus?
Everyone… even my non-chocolate liking husband… liked these. The kids loved them. Hubby thought that the rhubarb was the perfect compliment to the brownies. Everyone also remarked on how awesome the crispy top layer was with the ooey gooey center.
I truly hope you will try these because I just know you will enjoy them!
And here is the recipe!
Looking for More Rhubarb Recipes?
- 2 cups (350g) rhubarb, finely diced
- ½ cup (113g) butter, unsalted
- ¼ cup (45g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® vanilla extract
- ½ cup (63g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat over to 350°F and prepare your 8x8 inch pan.
- In a saucepan, add butter and rhubarb and simmer over low heat until butter is melted.
- Add in chocolate chips then immediately remove from heat. Stir until all chocolate chips are melted.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add a spoonful of the rhubarb mixture to the egg mixture to temper it. (you don't want your egg to scramble)
- Now add your tempered egg mixture to the saucepan of rhubarb and mix well.
- Add in cocoa, flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes in a prepared 8x8 inch pan, or until a toothpick comes out with minimal crumb. ( I baked mine in a convection oven for 31 minutes.)
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Those brownies. Awesome!! 🙂
I love that you used rhubarb in a non-pie dessert!
I love this idea so much. I definitely need to give it a try.
Fantastic idea, can’t wait to try!! Please clarify though, did you use a 9×9 pan or 8×8 pan? It says prepare 9×9 pan in step 1 of directions but step 7 says to bake in 8×8.
I just sent this recipe to my dad! Not only does he LOVE brownies, but he grows rhubarb in his garden, so I feel like these are perfect for him!
Well your feeling was right…these ARE amazing!!! Tart and chocolaty all in one?!? YUMMERS
Made these last night – the batter was delicious, so can’t wait to try them out on my friends at our BBQ tonight! Thanks!
YAY!! I am so excited for you!!
Wow that is an amazing idea! I’ve only ever had it stewed and made into jam,, but I’m definitely going to try this next year!
Wow…I just baked it and it is amazone. Thank you!
YAY!!! This is one of my favorite recipes of all time… but I have a hard time getting others to want to even try it! So glad you liked it!