You are going to love this Brownie Rocky Road Ice Cream Cake! Ice cream and summer go hand-in-hand, but ice cream cakes are even better. Perfect for all birthdays and celebrations! (But especially for Father’s Day!) If you love this dessert, try my Piggy Pie Dessert or Blueberry Lemon Heaven Dessert!
Brownie Rocky Road Ice Cream Cake
To make this cake even more special I decided to make my own ice cream. With the help from my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, I was able to create a fresh and decadent chocolate ice cream that really puts this cake over the top! You don’t have to make your own ice cream if you want to make this decadent dessert. Feel free to buy some chocolate ice cream. 🙂
How to Make a Rocky Road Ice Cream Cake
chocolate ice cream recipe (below)
brownie recipe (below)
1 cup chopped or sliced almonds
2 (12-ounce) jars of hot fudge
2-3 cups of mini marshmallows
3 cups whipped cream (or one 16-ounce container of Cool Whip)
Start by making the ice cream. I like to do this the day before made assembling this cake much faster! If you are using store-bought ice cream, allow it to come to room temperature so that you can spread it easily. It will be a bit messy, but that’s ok.
Prepare brownies, bake, and allow to cool. (This can also be done in advance. Allow brownies to come to room temperature, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to assemble.)
When ready to assemble, spread out chocolate ice cream evenly over cooled brownie.
Next add a layer of roasted almonds, about 1 cups.
The next layer is mini-marshmallows, about 2 cups.
Next is one 12-0unce jar of hot fudge which has been warmed slightly so that it can pour easier.
Chill cake in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Spread whipped cream evenly over top of cake and drizzle with more hot fudge.
Freeze for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
How to Serve an Ice Cream Cake
It’s really hard to cut through a completely frozen cake, so I try to remove it from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving.
Run a sharp knife under warm water. I like to keep a wet paper towel nearby to wipe off the knife between cuts. Cut into the frozen cake with the warm knife using firm, straight cuts. You may need to run the knife under warm water again. After you have cut a piece, place on a plate and serve immediately. It starts to get a little sloppy after it has warmed up, but this cake tastes so amazing you won’t care one bit about a little mess. 🙂
More Brownie Desserts:
Rocky Road Ice Cream Brownies
- Ice Cream Maker
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup (87g) cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (67g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (245g) whole milk
- 2 cups (480g or 16 ounces) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (42g) dark cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 170g) butter, softened or room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 12 ounces hot fudge, warmed
- 16 ounces (about 3 cups) whipped topping
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars, and salt. Add the milk and with a hand-mixer on low, mix until sugars are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk once more prior to adding to ice cream maker. Follow machine directions for preparing ice cream.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray or GOOP.
- In a large bowl add flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt. Whisk together ingredients until they are fully incorporated.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl using a hand-held mixer beat the eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer off, add in the flour mixture. Turn mixer on low and mix until ingredients are well combined.
- Pour brownies into a prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F. Brownies are done when an inserted toothpick is removed with crumbs but not wet batter.
- Allow cooling before assembling ice cream cake.
Assembling the Cake
- Spread out chocolate ice cream evenly over cooled brownie. (If you are using store-bought ice cream, allow it to warm up before spreading.)
- Next add a layer of roasted almonds, about 1 cups.
- The next layer is mini-marshmallows, about 2 cups.
- Next is one 12-ounce jar of hot fudge which has been warmed slightly so that it can pour easier. Pour half (or eyeball how much you want) over marshmallows.
- Chill cake for 15 minutes.
- Spread whipped cream evenly over top of cake and drizzle with remaining hot fudge.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.