Rose Birthday Cake

filed under: Cakes on December 16, 2011

This 3-layer Rosette cake is perfect for a little girl who loves frilly and pink! Don’t miss my famous Birthday Cake recipe as well as other Rose Cakes!

Birthday Cake

Our sweet Audrey has a December birthday. She is destined to share her special day with the red and green accents of Christmas and to receive the dreaded “two-fer” gifts.

So this year for her third birthday, I wanted to make her a cake that was all about her.

I asked her what she wanted.

Showed her pictures of cakes from previous years, let her dream and wish to her heart’s delight.  It could be any color.  With any embellishment.

She picked the cake with the most possible frosting!

She is clearly her mother’s daughter.

I wanted the cake to do double duty, so I made the top her “smash” cake.  We can remove it when it comes time to eat so she has her very own pink princess cake.  Since the roses are so easy to do, I will bring a bag of white frosting with me and just quick add some to the top before everyone else’s pieces are served.  (Here is the Rose Cake Tutorial)

She hasn’t actually seen it yet (as I hope to surprise her with it tomorrow) but I hope she likes it!

*****

You can also see my version of a Royal Wedding Rose Cake and the Original Rose Cake!

Comments

• Francine says:

How wonderful! My husband’s birthday is a couple weeks after Christmas, and he always got a “combo” gift which was nothing more than his regular Christmas gift. He felt cheated about it his whole life, so when he saw this he asked me to write and say what a fabulous mommy you are to do this for your December daughter.

• Nic@diningwithastud says:

Stunning. Simply stunning

• Evon says:

What a stunning cake! Any girl regardless of age would love it! That is so funny about picking one with most icing. Happy 3rd Birthday to a very lucky little girl!

• Donna Oliphint says:

Oh, man! I made a birthcake with roses on the top a couple of weeks ago, but I made just a 4 layer cake. The tiered cake is just SO much prettier!! Beautiful job, Amanda!

• sweetsugarbelle says:

YOu totally made amazing, BETTER! Happy birthday Audrey!

• colleen says:

Sooooooo pretty! I have 2 boys…my son want a tank cake this yr that shoots foan darts out of it…. far cry from the beautiful princess cake ..

• Rachel says:

Beautiful cake! I come to your site so often to see what sort of wonderful pieces of art you’ve come up with. I’m afraid I have the baking part down, but not the decorating! These roses look amazing and I’m on your daughter’s side… There can never be too much frosting!

• Monica says:

This cake is so beautiful; I can’t stop looking at it! It’s certainly an amazing birthday cake for a little girl or could be a show-stopping wedding cake for a “big” girl. I think it’s perfect in white and pale pink and I’m daydreaming about lavender…just gorgeous!

• Chantel says:

Beautiful cake! I am baking a cake tomorrow for my sisters in laws birthday and would love to do the flowers all over just like this, I have been searching everywhere for how to do it and I cant seem to find a video? How do you do it?! Thank you!

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Wow, Amanda! You have one lucky little girl!!!

PS…my birthday is in October. 😉

• Marilee says:

Just when I thought is couldn’t get any better than your first Rose cake, you do this! This is the most beautiful cake I have EVER seen, is it bad to be in love with a cake?

Happy Birthday Miss Audrey, your mother is a cake making rockstar!

• mimster says:

I hope it’s not to late for you to see these questions…I have made your show-stopping rose cake twice now. And for being an extreme amateur I was thrilled with the results – all thanks to your fabu tutorial!!

This is beyond gorgeous with the layers – especially the pink topper, but my question is – did you stack the cakes before frosting with the roses? If so, did you do all the sides first then go back to the tops? I am sure this seems a silly question, but I would love to try this layered effect next.

Your roses are so much more “fluffy” than mine – how do you achieve that? Is my frosting too stiff?

Thanks for an amazing blog!!! This is the only thing that has given me confidence to keep trying!

Happy, Healthy, & Prosperous New Year to you!

• arsheen says:

HI Amanda, I am just started following ur blog and I am in love with ur cake and planning to make the same for my Daughter;s birthday on this thursday. I had few questions

(i) when should I start making the cake?

(i) I am not very fond of just shortening flavor so can I use some butter along with shortening?

(iii) there are 60 guests invite , so how many tiers cake would be sufficient ?

This is my first time I am planning to bake a cake therefore every one please feel free to answer the above questions. It would be highly appreciated

• angie says:

i want a cake just like that for my birthday ; )

• Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen says:

How beautiful! A perfect cake for a sweet little girl. I’m headed to the tutorial now, I’m dying to know how to make those flowers you call “easy”!

• naomi says:

Just gorgeous, Amanda! Wow. Audrey is one lucky girl. I know, I’m super late on commenting. Sorry- I’m sure you made her day special!

• lacibeles says:

This is one of the most beautiful cakes I’ve ever seen!
    So simple, elegant, classy… I JUST LOVE IT
    I have 2 questions though:
    1. how were you able to cover up the cake with those roses without showing any of the crumb coat?!
    2. any idea were I find simple and modern looking cake pedestals like this one and the other red one used for your snow globe cake?

• Nan says:

I love this cake; So much that I’m going to make it for my granddaughters 1st birthday. Can you share what size each tier is?

• iHEARTcupcakes says:

Simply gorgeous!

• Terry Hall says:

My sweet mother was a baker and would take on the hardest and most complicated recipes. She also made her own. Moon Pies was one of my favorites, but this cake is so beautiful, I hope to see the recipe through and make my own beautiful rose cake.

• Ashley says:

My birthday is December 20th. When I was a child (I’m 26 now) we always celebrated my birthday at the beginning of December to help separate it from Christmas, make it its own special day to celebrate. That helped avoid the “two-fer” presents. Also to help people have the time to make it to my birthday parties, since it is so close to Christmas and there are endless Christmas parties around my actual birthday day.

One year a relative made a big deal about how we never celebrated my birthday on my birthday. So my mom decided that we would try it and see what happened. There wasn’t a very good turnout and the relative who made a big stink about it didn’t show up either. Needless to say, we never did that again.

Of course my parents and siblings always celebrated on my birthday too, which made it more special because it was just us. I enjoyed celebrating me all month long 😉

• Michelle C says:

Wow! I was searching the net for ideas for my daughter’s 1st birthday. We’re planning a cake smash, so I wanted a soft floral pattern and came accross this. I absolutely loved it and then I read your blog. My daughter’s name is Audrey too, so it looks like this was meant to be!

Thanks so much for this!

• Rosemary L says:

I am brand new to this, and I am so excited to try this cake for my daughters first birthday cake!! What girl doesn’t love flowers!? =) thank you for showing an easy way for me to look like I am a decent cake decorator. I only do cakes for my family but I love it!

• Chrissie says:

hi there.. lovely cake 🙂

would love to try to make it… may I ask the circumference of each tier? 🙂

• Amanda says:

It was 9in, 6in, and 3in. Happy Baking!

• Chrissie says:

oh awesome 🙂 thank you sooo much! This cake is my inspiration.. 😉 I’m doing this for a garden party next week 🙂 did you use pound cake? 🙂 what is the height per cake/tier?

• Evelyn says:

Beautiful! Can I make roses with whipped cream?