Rose Cake Tutorial

filed under: Rose + Rosette Cakes on February 3, 2011

SO excited to share with you how easy it is to make the rose cake. (Video tutorial HERE.  In four minutes I frost an entire three layer Rose Cake!)

Seriously, once you see you are going to run right out, buy a 1M tip, and make one.

That or go back to work. Or bed. Or whatever it was you were doing before I interrupted you.

Ok, here we go!

There were two main components to this cake.

The vertical layer interior and the frosting rose exterior.

Rosecakevertical

Pin It

I am going to do a vertical layer tutorial at a different time, (updated: you can see it HERE) as I did not get any pictures of it this go around and it is IMPOSSIBLE to explain without pictures. What I can tell you is, I did not make a sponge cake that I simple rolled up. I actually made two separate cakes and assembled them into the vertical layer pattern.

Now for the frosting rose tutorial!

I promise you, this could NOT be easier. Bakers have been putting frosting roses on cupcakes forever by simply using a 1M decorators tip. That is all I did!!

(I need to mention… before I froze my cake I poured a simple syrup over it. This helped to retain moisture as well as assist in binding the layers together… just be careful to not use to much!)

Start with your cake. I put a good crumb coat on… as in, a crumb coat that conceals the cake underneath. It can be sloppy and uneven, but you should not be able to see what color the cake is.

IMG_9013.stamp

Put your 1M tip (or any large open star tip) into the pastry bag then fill it up with buttercream frosting.

IMG_9017.stamp

If you have an appropriately sized coupler you can use that, or you can just insert the tip into the bag and cut off the excess.

IMG_9019.stamp

To make your rose, start in the center, then slowly move your tip in a circle around the center point. I wanted a single rose to span the side of the cake so I looped around my center point twice.

Try to end in the same place each time.

IMG_9020.stamp

Go all the way around the cake and complete with one last rose!

IMG_9024.stamp

This is how it looks after completing the circumference of the cake.

IMG_9038.stamp

Then go back and add the roses to the top using the same method.

IMG_9030.stamp

When making flowers that big, you are bound to have some ‘dead’ space in there. Can you see that big empty spot up there?

My first instinct was to go back in and add dollops of stars… but I think I found a better way!

IMG_9031.stamp

Instead go in and make a swoop with your tip. (try and go in the same direction as the rose right next to it)

In the overall design it seems to fit in better then the star dollop!

IMG_9043.stamp

At least, I hope so anyway. 🙂

Now… if you are really adventurous and want to add some color to your cake…

IMG_9045.stamp

You can pick up some of these.

IMG_9052.stamp

I did a light dusting of yellow then went back over it with the pink. I have to admit, all white is still my favorite, but I love the flexibility of being able to add some color.

I think a deep red would be stunning on a Valentines Day cake! If you try that, be sure to send pictures! Or just add it to my flickr group!

Here are my tips to finding success:

1. Use a good crusting buttercream recipe. I used my new favorite and loved how it worked. You will want to make sure the frosting is not creamy though… for the tutorial cake I used a creamier version and the roses did not holdtheirshape as well.

2. Make sure you have enough frosting! Those roses use a lot… I would make the whole batch of the above recipe.

3. Put your cake in the fridge after you are done with decorating to help them set up and retain their shape.

4. Have FUN with it! Those roses are so forgiving. But if you find that you really dislike how they are turning out, just scrape them off and start over!

Cant wait to see what you do!

And of course, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

***

You can also see Audrey’s Rose Birthday Cake and my Royal Wedding Cake!

How to do a Rose Cake!

To make this design, simply start in the middle of the cake and create the same pattern as you did on the sides. Instead of stopping, keep going around and around until you have covered the whole cake!

Thank you for much for viewing and commenting the Original Rosette/Rose Cake that I created.  Although many have stolen this idea and passed it off as their own, I can assure you that I was the Original.  Thanks!

Comments

• amy g. says:

My daughter doesn’t really like buttercream but wants a rose cake. I’ve thought of making a cream cheese/whipping cream icing. Have you ever done that and had it hold up vertically on a layer cake? Would you recommend doing a buttercream crumb coat as a base? Please give me your advice! I have 4 days till the big day!

• Anoe says:

Same question here

• Beth says:

Hey Amanda! Love this! I’m the “baker chick” in the family, and I need to make my baby brother’s 1st birthday cake on Saturday. While, I’m not going to make rosettes, (duh. lol) I wanted to use this tip to make a “shell pattern” as a border around the cake. I was just wondering if you’d know whether this tip would work without a coupler in a ziploc bag? Thank you so much! God bless you and your family!

In His Service,
    Beth

• deborah says:

hi these roses look amazing and i immediately went out to buy the stuff for the rose spritz cookies. i used a 1M tip but as i piped the roses the edges of the roses were not smooth like in your pictures, they were broken up… i.e. the lines of the petals stopped and started and the roses looked awful. i ended up baking the pastry in a blob 🙁
    i would like to give it another try though so can you tell me what i did wrong? how can i get beautiful roses like yours?
    thanks!

• Amanda says:

Hi Deborah~ I am so sorry for any issues! Sounds like the dough was a bit dry, which is very common with spritz cookies. You can add a bit more liquid to get it more pliable, then after you have piped them, pop into the freezer for about 10 minutes. They should bake up perfectly!

• Kristen says:

Beautiful and elegant! I actually like the white even better. It’s just so classy and timeless! Great tutorial!

• Louise says:

Hi
    So beautiful. I will make the roses on a cake soon. Do you know if it is possible to make the roses day before and keep the cake in the fridge?
    Best Louise

• Ashlee says:

How much does your frosting recipe make? 1 qt? I’m planning to make a two-layer round cake and am wondering if one batch is enough?

Thanks!

• LisaQ says:

I have been experimenting with a smaller version of this decorating technique, but I’m having trouble finding a decorating tip that replicates the 1M tip effect on a smaller scale (maybe 50% size). Do you have a recommendation for tip to use that will make a similar flower on a smaller scale (i.e. for a 4″ cake)? The first time I did a 4″ cake I used my 1M on it, but I’d like to try a smaller rosette. The standard Wilton tips I’m finding have grooves that are too shallow, resulting in a ridged tube rather than the petal-effect. Thanks so much! This is my absolute favorite decorating technique! Everyone raves, and I just smile because it’s the easiest decorating method ever!

• Amanda says:

Hi Lisa- I agree, I have also experimented with other tips and not found one smaller that I really like. At least not from Wilton. Would be worth it to checkout other manufacturers! 🙂

• Sarah P @ Sprinkled Cakes says:

Amanda,

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! You gave me the confidence to make my first decorated cake . . . which has gone from a growing hobby to a business, along with a website and blog! The rose cake was one of the first decorated cakes I ever made, along with the frilly cake. You are such an inspiration to those of us who are just starting out!

• Marilyn Carlson says:

I used to be a wedding cake decorator and I would have given a lot to do this on a cake. It is so beautiful and you are very creative. Keep up the beauty!

• Isabella says:

Hello! Quick question- when you said “Instead go in and make a swoop with your tip.” what exactly do you mean? Did you just make an extra loop around your rose? Great tutorial-Thanks!

• Debbie says:

So you then are Marie Kason? who invented the 1M in 1985 to create light pressure piping for big decorating impact? Congratulations on having a tip named after you! I just read how you invented this tip for the rosettes and shells.

• Amanda says:

No! I did not invent the 1M tip. I am the first person to use it to decorate an entire cake. Everyone had only used it for tops or borders before that. 🙂

• Laura McGuiness says:

Do you have the recipe for the actual cake? I am hunting for a good cake recipe.

• Irma Martin Del Campo says:

Can I use a whip cream icing? Don’t like icing to be to sweet. I like the consistency of the buttercream but I think it’s too sweet. What do you recommend? Thank you,

• Alice says:

I actually did go out and buy the tip to make this cake! My husband and I are celebrating our 13th wedding Anniversary and I will frost our cake this way. I’m using canned chocolate frosting to save time so hopefully it will turn out well. Such a beautiful cake..excited to see how mine turns out tomorrow.

• Laurie says:

Hi. Your rose covered cake is beautiful and amazing. I adore it. I am looking to make a cake for my daughter’s birthday and I know NOTHING about decorating. I plan to make a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. Would the icing be stiff enough to work? Thanks so much for the great ideas!

• Hannah Dalton says:

This wasn’t very useful to honest. It needs more detail of how to do it.

• Amanda says:

The step by step and video weren’t helpful?

• Theresa says:

Can you frost a half sheet cake like this with roses or will that look funny? Any tips or advice on half sheets cakes would be great! How far in advance can you make and freeze the sheet cake? Thanks!!

• Theresa says:

Beautiful cakes!! Will these roses look good covered on a half sheet cake or too much? Do you have any recipes for half sheet cakes – white and chocolate? I am looking to do one white cake and 1 chocolate sheet cakes. For your crusted buttercream frosting, will that cover a half sheet cake or would I need to make a couple batches? How much ahead can I make the cake and freeze it? Any freezing tips/methods? Thanks!!

• Beckton Ricker says:

Love you work.Thanks for the details.Beautiful cakes you made.

• Melissa says:

Oh my goodness! This is beautiful. I so wish I could show you the picture of mine. I totally nailed it (not really!) I used the wrong tip. It’s pretty hilarious! But….very delicious!

• Nancy says:

Can this cake be frozen / client needs to pick up 4 days prior/ which is best defrosting method

• Ellie | fit for the soul says:

This…is gorgeous…….One question! What do you mean you went around the center point twice? I tried to draw it in the air but don’t know if I’d execute it well the way I THINK you described.

• joann krajewski says:

I don’t see anything about a second layer. Isn’t there one? I think a single layer might look to skimpy.

• Faricha Lewing says:

l love your work and you are so talented!! Quick question please. My roses slide down the side of my cake the next day. Any thoughts on what I did or didn’t do that made this happen? only on one side. and it was after I transported it to work lol. thanks so much for your help! next cake I’m going to try is your new mother’s day cake design! LOVE IT!!!

• Amanda says:

To avoid roses from sliding I try to do a good crumb coat as well as starting from the bottom and building up. If your cake is on the cake stand as you decorate this usually works the best!

• Katelyn says:

How do you think a homemade cream cheese frosting would do for these roses?

• My Best Birthday says:

It looks so beautiful and elegant ! I know what i’ll do this week-end. Thanks for the tutorial.