Rose Cake Tutorial

filed under: Rose + Rosette Cakes on February 3, 2011

SO excited to share with you how easy it is to make the rose cake. (Video tutorial HERE.  In four minutes I frost an entire three layer Rose Cake!)

Seriously, once you see you are going to run right out, buy a 1M tip, and make one.

That or go back to work. Or bed. Or whatever it was you were doing before I interrupted you.

Ok, here we go!

There were two main components to this cake.

The vertical layer interior and the frosting rose exterior.

Rosecakevertical

Pin It

I am going to do a vertical layer tutorial at a different time, (updated: you can see it HERE) as I did not get any pictures of it this go around and it is IMPOSSIBLE to explain without pictures. What I can tell you is, I did not make a sponge cake that I simple rolled up. I actually made two separate cakes and assembled them into the vertical layer pattern.

Now for the frosting rose tutorial!

I promise you, this could NOT be easier. Bakers have been putting frosting roses on cupcakes forever by simply using a 1M decorators tip. That is all I did!!

(I need to mention… before I froze my cake I poured a simple syrup over it. This helped to retain moisture as well as assist in binding the layers together… just be careful to not use to much!)

Start with your cake. I put a good crumb coat on… as in, a crumb coat that conceals the cake underneath. It can be sloppy and uneven, but you should not be able to see what color the cake is.

IMG_9013.stamp

Put your 1M tip (or any large open star tip) into the pastry bag then fill it up with buttercream frosting.

IMG_9017.stamp

If you have an appropriately sized coupler you can use that, or you can just insert the tip into the bag and cut off the excess.

IMG_9019.stamp

To make your rose, start in the center, then slowly move your tip in a circle around the center point. I wanted a single rose to span the side of the cake so I looped around my center point twice.

Try to end in the same place each time.

IMG_9020.stamp

Go all the way around the cake and complete with one last rose!

IMG_9024.stamp

This is how it looks after completing the circumference of the cake.

IMG_9038.stamp

Then go back and add the roses to the top using the same method.

IMG_9030.stamp

When making flowers that big, you are bound to have some ‘dead’ space in there. Can you see that big empty spot up there?

My first instinct was to go back in and add dollops of stars… but I think I found a better way!

IMG_9031.stamp

Instead go in and make a swoop with your tip. (try and go in the same direction as the rose right next to it)

In the overall design it seems to fit in better then the star dollop!

IMG_9043.stamp

At least, I hope so anyway. 🙂

Now… if you are really adventurous and want to add some color to your cake…

IMG_9045.stamp

You can pick up some of these.

IMG_9052.stamp

I did a light dusting of yellow then went back over it with the pink. I have to admit, all white is still my favorite, but I love the flexibility of being able to add some color.

I think a deep red would be stunning on a Valentines Day cake! If you try that, be sure to send pictures! Or just add it to my flickr group!

Here are my tips to finding success:

1. Use a good crusting buttercream recipe. I used my new favorite and loved how it worked. You will want to make sure the frosting is not creamy though… for the tutorial cake I used a creamier version and the roses did not holdtheirshape as well.

2. Make sure you have enough frosting! Those roses use a lot… I would make the whole batch of the above recipe.

3. Put your cake in the fridge after you are done with decorating to help them set up and retain their shape.

4. Have FUN with it! Those roses are so forgiving. But if you find that you really dislike how they are turning out, just scrape them off and start over!

Cant wait to see what you do!

And of course, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

***

You can also see Audrey’s Rose Birthday Cake and my Royal Wedding Cake!

How to do a Rose Cake!

To make this design, simply start in the middle of the cake and create the same pattern as you did on the sides. Instead of stopping, keep going around and around until you have covered the whole cake!

Thank you for much for viewing and commenting the Original Rosette/Rose Cake that I created.  Although many have stolen this idea and passed it off as their own, I can assure you that I was the Original.  Thanks!

Comments

• Matea says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I was making one of my sister’s wedding cakes and this tutorial helped me decorate it with the prettiest roses!

• Kalli says:

Did you use the same frosting to coat the cake with in the beginning as you did to make the roses?

• Donna says:

hi Amanda, I have to make 7 table cakes for a wedding this week and I have a question. I have made your rosette cake before, with no problem, but was curious whether you let the crumb coat crust first or apply your rosettes immediately after crumb coating?
    Thanks,

• Amanda says:

Hi Donna! I have done both. I usually do a crumb coat and let is sit for about five minutes, then do the flowers. But honestly, I have done it without waiting as well and not had a problem. 🙂

• Donna says:

Thanks!!!!

• Audrey says:

Thank you for your tutorial! Finally, I could make this cake. My five year old grand-daughter wanted her birthday cake to be full of flowers – yikes – your rose cake icing was my immediate answer! She kept telling me it was beautiful – like a wedding cake. Again, THANK YOU for making a simple family birthday party one she will always remember because of your rose cake!!

• Grace says:

after I made my first rose, I didn’t know where to start my second one so they wouldn’t overlap. any references?

• Britney says:

Is the tip your using the Wilton 1M swirl or 1M open star?! Thanks!

• Kendra says:

Thank you so much for the info! Your cake is beautiful, and I am excited to try it for my daughter’s birthday in a few days! I would like to make the cake and freeze it ahead of time, but could you give me more information on the freezing process? For example, do I put on the simple syrup and layer the cakes (I’m doing a 3-layer cake), then wrap them in sarah wrap and foil, or do I wrap each layer individually and freeze? Also, how long does it take for them to defrost? Do you ice them while still frozen or after they defrost?

• henny says:

How far in advance can these be made? Can they be frozen? Can they (wanna do in cupcake form) be stored at room temperature- or refrigerator? If these are displayed on a table- how long can they sit out and still taste great?

Wow- lots of questions!

thanks!

• Amanda says:

You can safely make these a couple days in advance if left out at room temperature. Storing in the fridge I would say 2 weeks. I would only frost the cupcakes a couple days prior to serving, but that is pushing it. But case scenario is frosting them day of, but the day before will work great too.

• Tamara says:

Hi,
    I LOVE the roses on the cake. So beautiful and unique. I am just learning on my ownon how to use tips. So I will be practicing. I haven’t take any classes, is there any tutorials online you know of with tips on how to set up your bag and use tips? I made homemade raspberry filling for donuts and what a big mess it was. 🙂
    Blessings, Tamara

• Amanda says:

Check out the link to the video Tamara! 🙂

• NancyB says:

Over a year ago I made the first of several Rose Cakes, thanks to your wonderful tutorial and videos. I don’t think I have thanked you properly, and wanted to remedy that! This past weekend I made two of them, one of them a chocolate for the first time, using your recipes and they were both gorgeous! No one believes how easy the method is because they look so awesome! I’ve read almost all the comments over the past year, thanks for being so patient and generous!

• Amanda says:

Thank you Nancy! I am thrilled you have found such success and joy in your baking!! 🙂

• Julie E says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been following your blog for several months and admiring your beautiful creations. Tonight I decorated my first rose cake. I am thrilled with the results. Thank you so much for sharing the directions. Typically it takes me hours to decorate a cake…tonight it was minutes! I did run out of frosting and only needed 2 more roses, but even with that snafu, it was still much faster.

• amy g. says:

My daughter doesn’t really like buttercream but wants a rose cake. I’ve thought of making a cream cheese/whipping cream icing. Have you ever done that and had it hold up vertically on a layer cake? Would you recommend doing a buttercream crumb coat as a base? Please give me your advice! I have 4 days till the big day!

• Anoe says:

Same question here

• Beth says:

Hey Amanda! Love this! I’m the “baker chick” in the family, and I need to make my baby brother’s 1st birthday cake on Saturday. While, I’m not going to make rosettes, (duh. lol) I wanted to use this tip to make a “shell pattern” as a border around the cake. I was just wondering if you’d know whether this tip would work without a coupler in a ziploc bag? Thank you so much! God bless you and your family!

In His Service,
    Beth

• deborah says:

hi these roses look amazing and i immediately went out to buy the stuff for the rose spritz cookies. i used a 1M tip but as i piped the roses the edges of the roses were not smooth like in your pictures, they were broken up… i.e. the lines of the petals stopped and started and the roses looked awful. i ended up baking the pastry in a blob 🙁
    i would like to give it another try though so can you tell me what i did wrong? how can i get beautiful roses like yours?
    thanks!

• Amanda says:

Hi Deborah~ I am so sorry for any issues! Sounds like the dough was a bit dry, which is very common with spritz cookies. You can add a bit more liquid to get it more pliable, then after you have piped them, pop into the freezer for about 10 minutes. They should bake up perfectly!

• Kristen says:

Beautiful and elegant! I actually like the white even better. It’s just so classy and timeless! Great tutorial!

• Louise says:

Hi
    So beautiful. I will make the roses on a cake soon. Do you know if it is possible to make the roses day before and keep the cake in the fridge?
    Best Louise

• Ashlee says:

How much does your frosting recipe make? 1 qt? I’m planning to make a two-layer round cake and am wondering if one batch is enough?

Thanks!

• LisaQ says:

I have been experimenting with a smaller version of this decorating technique, but I’m having trouble finding a decorating tip that replicates the 1M tip effect on a smaller scale (maybe 50% size). Do you have a recommendation for tip to use that will make a similar flower on a smaller scale (i.e. for a 4″ cake)? The first time I did a 4″ cake I used my 1M on it, but I’d like to try a smaller rosette. The standard Wilton tips I’m finding have grooves that are too shallow, resulting in a ridged tube rather than the petal-effect. Thanks so much! This is my absolute favorite decorating technique! Everyone raves, and I just smile because it’s the easiest decorating method ever!

• Amanda says:

Hi Lisa- I agree, I have also experimented with other tips and not found one smaller that I really like. At least not from Wilton. Would be worth it to checkout other manufacturers! 🙂