Design the perfect Sixlet Cupcake is easy with my tried and true formula!
I noticed that I have been using a lot, a lot of Sixlets in my cupcake designs lately. So I figured why not put them all together and show YOU how to do it too!
I happen to have a lot of Sixlet’s candies on hand and store them in my Sprinkles Cabinet. I like to buy them from Amazon in larger quantities as it is MUCH cheaper.
How to Decorate Cupcakes
Whether you’re a seasoned cupcake-decorating pro or a complete rookie when it comes to frosting cupcakes, I’ve got a decorating tip that will help you make one heckuva beautiful cupcake! Follow my simple steps for how to decorate cupcakes, how to frost cupcakes, and even how to use what you have in your cupboard to create beautiful designs.
With a big variety of colors available it is to create a customized design for every holiday and occasion.
or New Year’s Eve…
or even Wedding Cupcakes!!
I LOVE how easy they are. This was decorated with an 8B tip and then the Sixlets were added to one side.
One thing you may have noticed in all of these designs is that it is a variation of sizes of sprinkles.
How to Decorate Cupcakes with Sprinkles
You will need:
medium round (these are called pearlized sprinkles, pearl sprinkles, candy beads, or pearl gems)
round sprinkles often called nonpareils
The combination of these three sizes really makes for a beautiful juxtaposition. You can also add in some disco dust or edible glitter for a fun effect!
Assembling them is beyond easy. Gather the sprinkles of choice (I am a big fan of a color theme or making these with a special occasion in mind, like New Years.) and start by placing the sixlets on the cupcake. Then add the next smallest size or the medium pearl gems. Finally, sprinkle some of the nonpareils over the top!
I have a little video from facebook where I show how to assemble.
Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes with Ultimate Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115g) sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chips or chopped
- 1½ cups (3 sticks or 339g) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 -5 tablespoons brewed hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, so prepare one pan (or maybe two) with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk on medium speed until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the stand mixer and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low.
- As soon as you are done adding the flour turn the mixer off. (You do not want to over-mix!)
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. (should be about 1 1/2 minutes total)
- Place room temperature butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer, starting on low, then increasing speed to medium-high. Cream together until light, fluffy, and a pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, add 4 tablespoons of hot coffee to cocoa and stir. If the mixture is still very thick, you can add 1 more tablespoon of hot coffee.
- Turn the mixer off and add in cooled chocolate and cocoa/coffee mixture.
- Turn mixer on to the lowest setting and add in confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. Once incorporated, turn mixer on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Frosting will darken as it sets.
- Make sure cupcakes are cool before frosting.
- Garnish with sprinkles (chocolate jimmies) if you want!
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I love using my Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake recipe above but have also used my white cupcake recipe in these images. I used my favorite whipped vanilla buttercream to pipe. (I love the 8B tip for Sixlets Cupcakes!)
Check out my other cupcake decorating here!