skull cake {surprise inside cake}

filed under: Surprise Inside Cakes on September 24, 2013
  • Pin
  • UPDATE: Tutorial here

One of my favorite cake decorating seasons is Halloween.  I think it’s tied into my deep love for fall and all things orange, yellow, and white!  But I feel as if I must be very clear.  I am a Charlie Brown’s Halloween girl, not a Halloween: The Return of Mike Meyers kinda girl.  I like things PG.

So this cake is a bit of a stretch for me!  But when the idea came to me, it just wouldn’t go away… and I knew I needed to make it come to fruition.  So it’s silly.  It doesn’t make much sense.  I made it, decorated it, took pictures of it… all in a very short time.  And almost didn’t share at all!

Skull Cake with a Surprise Inside

Why not share?  Cause it’s weird!  Odd.  I couldn’t even bring myself to make a real skull and crossbones!  (not because I can’t pipe a skull, but because I think they are gory)  So I faked it.  With an open star tip!  A STAR TIP for a SKULL and CROSSBONES.  So this is my attempt to classy up the skull and crossbones.  Don’t laugh.

But then I went ahead and called it a skull cake anyway.

Because “Fake Skull Cake” sounded really lame.  And so did, “Kinda Skull Cake”.  “I am a Scaredy Cat and Don’t Like Real Skulls Cake” was even worse.

Please don’t call the crazy police on me.

Skull Cake with a Surprise Inside!

Moving on.

This cake does have a fun surprise inside!

Surprise Inside Cake! The PERFECT #Halloween #cake!

I spelled out BOO with chocolate cake!  And am putting together a mini tutorial for later this week, so keep and eye out if you want to make one of these yourself.

#surpriseinsidecakes Skull Cake with BOO written inside in chocolate frosting! #halloween

At the end of the day, this cake was pretty fun.  My kids love surprise inside cakes and this was was no exception.  I will never get tired of seeing their expressions when we cut into a surprise inside cake!

Skull Surprise Inside Cake! #halloween #cake #surpriseinsidecakes

Thanks for putting up with my weird warped “skull inspired” view of Halloween!

• Pin

Comments

• darcie says:

You never cease to amaze me – BOO! Of course you were able to do that! Fun!

• Emma says:

I LOVE the skulls! Such an original representation!

• Becca from It's Yummi says:

I giggled out loud at “sorta skull cake” and my smile just got bigger when I saw the suprise. SO cute, Amanda!

• Amy @ The Nifty Foodie says:

This is adorable! I love the hidden “BOO” in there. 🙂

• Tesei says:

Great idea Amanda!!! Lovely as it is, I would havenever thought of these skulls, amazing as always! Would love to read the tutorial (so would my little ones), thank you!!!

• HeatherChristo says:

It so great!!!! I am obsessed with Halloween too and first fell in love with your blog with your little ghost cake 🙂 I think that the skull and bones made with a star tip is elegant and incredibly creative. I love your Boo inside too! You never fail to impress with your beautiful imagination Amanda!

• Beth @ bethcakes says:

Oh my gosh, I love this! I kept wondering how you were going to put a skull inside the cake if you couldn’t pipe one (I’m with you, I wouldn’t be able to do that either!), and I was so pleasantly surprised by the “BOO”! I love that so much more than a skull, haha. So cute! 🙂

• Diane price says:

I love everything about this cake! especially the surprise “BOO” inside
    the cake you are my kinda gal fall lover and a very creative,cleaver baker.

• Christine says:

I love that you are you, that’s why I read your blog! This cake is terrific! I have a teacher’s luncheon to cook for next month and those teachers will be having this cake, exactly as you have presented it!!! It is perfect! I think we all enjoy Halloween, and this is a classy, adult way to show we can still have fun!

• Mimi says:

So cool! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the surprise inside!

• gretchen says:

super cute… can’t wait to see how you did it. my 5yr old son would be all over this cake!

• Deepali Jain says:

Love the BOO inside! Eagerly awaiting the tut!

• Mairi says:

I know if I tried this I’d end up with each slice reading ooB! Really clever x

• Jenni Snyder says:

The only thing cuter than the “kinda skull cake” is you!!:-) So funny, and as always-you blow me away! Can’t wait for your next idea!

• Elizabeth (Cakes by the Pound) says:

Not crazy talk here! Love it!

• Mimi @ Culinary Couture says:

I love all your surprise inside cakes! You are so talented!

• Tammy Soave says:

It’s wonderful! how DO you come up with these?!

I’m with you…LOVE Halloween, but in a vintage kitschy sorta way. I think your “fake” skulls are just perfect for the surprise inside. It’s a sweet, cute surprise. If there had been real, scary skulls on the outside, one would expect something scary on the inside. And, believe me, my mind is running rampant! Eeeek! Your surprise is very tasteful, pun intended. 😉 I can’t wait for your tutorial! I have been looking for a Halloweenish cake for my daughter’s late October birthday!

• Marquisha says:

I am the same way about skulls and crossbones! I won’t buy anything with them on it. I guess maybe it’s because I also am not a Freddy Krueger, Michael Meyers kind of girl either. I love the cake, it kinda looks like a casket with elegant “skulls & cross bones”. I think I might try to get up the courage to make this!

• Catherine says:

ADORABLE!!! Great for the little one who are also ‘fraidy cats”~

• Holiday Baker Man says:

Inspired! I love it!

• [email protected] Stirring Place says:

I’m totally with you about the PG/non-scary Halloween stuff. I’m a total scaredy cat. Looking forward to the tutorial!

• I love the BOO inside! I am just like you with Halloween. I like the cute stuff not the scary. I can’t wait to see how you make the surprise inside.

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says:

This cake is so fun!! Love this!

• Cat says:

Love it! I don’t like icky things for Halloween, either. In fact, I don’t even make cookies or anything for Halloween. But I really got a laugh reading about your title selection! 🙂 I’m surprised you were able to put in bold letters “keep an eye out” (for the tutorial), because that even seems kind of gory in this context. 🙂 Seems like “Boo” could be for any occasion, though, since it’s a surprise. I can hardly wait to see the tutorial!

• Robyn | Add a Pinch says:

I adore it!!! I’m right there with you as a Charlie Brown Halloween sorta girl!!!

xo