This showstopping White Layer Cake with Fudgy Brownie is two layers of brownies, two layers of white cake, frosted with a beautiful buttercream rosette. I have the perfect decorator’s buttercream you can use to create a pretty design.
White Layer Cake with Brownie
If you look at the cake, it’s all about the lovely rose design using my decorator’s frosting. No one would know that it is made with box mixes of a cake and brownies! Yes, you could simply frost the cake with any kind of frosting, but don’t give up on the rosettes just yet. I have a full tutorial on how to make a rose cake.
Brownies: Grab a box of brownie mix (I like the fudge variety) to make the brownie layers.
Cake: All you need is a box of white cake mix that perfectly complements the brownies.
How to Frost with Decorator’s Buttercream
- Chill the cake before applying a thin crumb coat. This will help the crumbs to adhere better.
- Once the crumb coat is applied, add a generous amount of buttercream for the final coat, creating a rose design as desired. Directions for How to Make a Rose Cake here.
Can I Use Different Frosting?
Sure! This cake is delicious even without any fancy designs. If you do not use decorator’s buttercream, try my American Buttercream, some easy frosting options, chocolate buttercream, or even store-bought frosting.
Can I Make this Cake Without Box Mixes?
Definitely! If you are feeling up to it, this cake can definitely be made homemade. I recommend using my homemade brownie mix, along with my white cake recipe.
Can I Make this Cake in a Different Pan?
Sure. If you would like to make this white layered cake with fudgy brownie in a 9×13-inch baking dish, I recommend using the boxed mixes. I have not tested my homemade recipes in that size of a pan.
How to Store White Layer Cake with Fudgy Brownies
To store the cake after frosting, cover it with a cake dome or a large bowl. It will last at room temperature for 4-5 days. If you have cut the cake, place plastic wrap against the cut side to keep the cake from drying out.
White Layer Cake with Fudgy Brownie
- 1 box (18.4 ounces) brownie mix
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) white cake mix
- decorator's buttercream, for frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the brownie batter according to package instructions and divide evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake the brownies for 10 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the white cake batter according to package instructions.
- Remove the partially baked brownies from the oven and evenly divide the white cake batter between the two pans, pouring it over the brownies.
- Return the cake pans to the oven and bake for an additional 16-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with crumbs but no wet batter. The cake should dome slightly and start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let the cake cool before adding the decorator's buttercream.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
sounds great- can’t wait to make it!
I am 80 and love your recipes, easy to follow and print when needed. You are so kind to share and everyone loves what you have to offer. Thank You….Sherry