Bacon Jalapeno Poppers Stuffed with Cream Cheese are the perfect appetizer! Filled with a tasty cream cheese mixture and topped with crispy thick-cut bacon, these little bite-sized treats are bursting with flavor! Just in case you love appetizers as much as I do, try my Bacon Cheese Cheeseburger Meatball and hot Jalapeno Corn Dip.
Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
Bacon Jalapeno Poppers are incredibly easy to make and oh-so glorious to eat. We like to make sausage jalapeno poppers, too! You can also skip the bacon if you want to go vegan. Whatever you do, you will want to have some ranch dressing for dipping. Not only does it taste delicious, but it also cuts through the heat of the jalapeno as well!
How to Properly Cut Jalapeno Peppers
To seed and slice a jalapeno properly:
- Clean and remove the seeds.
- Wear gloves or hold the jalapeno with a paper towel while cutting to avoid eye or nose contact.
- Cut the jalapeno lengthwise and remove the membrane using a spoon.
- Discard the seeds and wash your hands thoroughly.
How to Know When the Jalapeno is Spicy
To determine the spiciness of a jalapeno, it’s important to consider the age of the pepper. The appearance of stress marks, such as white lines or flecks, on the flesh of the pepper, indicates that it is older and therefore spicier. On the other hand, younger jalapenos with clear flesh are milder. When choosing a jalapeno, it’s recommended to pick one based on your desired level of spiciness
Wrapping Bacon vs. Individual Slices
I have seen many a recipe that calls for wrapping the bacon around the jalapeno and then baking. These are delish of course, but I always seem to get that one jalapeno popper that has soggy bacon on the bottom. Using individual slices guarantees that every popper with have a perfectly crispy piece of bacon whose juices have soaked into that glorious cream cheese mixture. Feel free to try it this way and let me know if you like it better too!
Can You Freeze Jalapeno Poppers?
You can! Prepare all the way to the baking step and then stop and freeze. You will want to take steps to make sure they don’t stick together. To do this, I recommend placing them side by side on a baking sheet and freezing that way for a couple of hours. Once they are frozen this way, you can put them in a ziplock bag and they won’t stick together. Another alternative is to wrap them individually in wax paper. These are good frozen for a couple of months. When you are ready to eat them, let them thaw on the counter for a while before popping them into the oven.
Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- 10 large fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 10 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked crispy, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, pepper, and onion powder.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into each jalapeno half. Arrange stuffed halves on the lined sheet pan. Place a piece of bacon on top of each popper and press down slightly.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.