If you love Oreo Cookies, then make sure to try my Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream. This amazingly moist cupcake recipe is a classic one that should be a staple in your sweets rotation, and the buttercream is an Oreo lovers dream, filled with crushed cookies but yet so creamy and delicious. It is perfect for topping on a cupcake or a cake! Make sure to check out my other Oreo desserts like my favorite No Bake Oreo Cheesecake and my Peanut Butter Oreo Dessert!
Chocolate Cupcake with Oreo Buttercream
This is the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake Recipe! What makes this recipe different? Two ingredients that are not the “norm” in most chocolate cupcake recipes; sour cream and real melted chocolate. They do amazing things to this cupcake! Do you know what else does amazing things to this cupcake? The Oreo Buttercream. Your favorite frosting and your favorite cookie collide in the most delicious way. Even filled to the brim with crushed oreo cookies, this buttercream is still creamy and delicious. Buttercreams are kind of my jam. If you are looking to mix it up a bit, check out my easy American Buttercream Frosting. Also, check out these 4 easy buttercream cakes for some basic buttercream tips!
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream
Let me start by saying that this recipe, is really two recipes. Each is their own labor of love. Let’s break down both the base for the chocolate cupcake and the Oreo Buttercream frosting.
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Melt our butter and chocolate together in the microwave. I like to recommend 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between each. This will help you gauge the appropriate amount of time needed to melt the chocolate since all microwaves vary. Set that aside for now.
- Move over to your trusty stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Here you will add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk them on medium speed until it is completely smooth (about 1 minute).
- In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixer and whisk until that is smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, I like to do about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low. As soon as you are done adding the flour, turn the mixer off. You do not want to over-mix! Don’t worry if the batter is very thick, it is supposed to be! Fill your cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
How to Make Oreo Buttercream Frosting
Start by making sure the butter is light and fluffy, you can beat this in your electric mixer or with a hand mixer. Add in the confectioner’s sugar, 2 cups at a time and mix that up until it is smooth. Then fold in your crushed Oreo cookies. I use my food processor to ensure they are finely crushed, no big chunks allowed! Make sure to save some for topping at the end. Using an ice cream scoop, place one dollop on each cupcake. Top with crushed cookies and hot fudge or chocolate sauce, and Enjoy!!!
Tips for the Perfect Oreo Buttercream
Butter: Make sure to beat the butter. This is what gives the buttercream is velvety texture. You will want to use room temperature butter. Use an electric mixer to beat it with the sugar and then increase the speed to medium and beat until it looks fluffy and the color has lightened. This will take about 3-4 minutes. If you taste it, it should melt on your tongue.
Sugar: Add the sugar in stages and taste the buttercream as you go until it is at the sweetness you like.
Prepare: Buttercream can be made in advance so save yourself some time and make it ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for 1 week, or in the freezer for 3 months.
Oreos: If you want your buttercream to have that signature velvety texture, make sure you finely chop the cookies. If you find a larger piece of cookie left in the food processor bowl, you can remove it and reprocess after you take the rest out.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115 g) sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (42 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (95 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (500 g) confectioners sugar
- 20 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, so prepare one pan (or maybe two) with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk on medium speed until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the stand mixer and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low.
- As soon as you are done adding the flour turn the mixer off. (You do not want to over-mix!)
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until light and smooth.
- Slowly add 2 cups of confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. Pause to scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of sugar, mix until combined.
- Fold in Oreo crumbs, mix until smooth. (reserve some for topping)
- Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get the consistency you desire.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop a scoop onto each cupcake.
- Top with crushed Oreo cookies, hot fudge, or chocolate sauce (if desired).
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
This list is really helpful. I was clueless and now I have so many ideas from this list. Great job!
I cant wait to try the Orion cupcake
Choc cupcake with Oreo cream sounds divine!
List of ingredients does not include eggs.
Directions include eggs. How many?
Hi, Laura! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. Use two large eggs (room temperature) in the chocolate cupcake recipe. Have a great day!