Brown Butter Fudge

filed under: Candy on December 16, 2013
  • Jump to Recipe
  • Pin
  • This brown butter fudge gets all its sweet flavor from the decadent browned butter.  Its a show stopper!

Brown Butter Fudge

I have been incorporating brown butter into all my desserts lately.  With brown butter buttercream and brown butter cream cheese and now this Browned Butter Fudge.

And I am just getting started.

Brown Butter Fudge

My great-grandma Inga made the most amazing Vanilla Fudge.  I have tried for years to replicate her recipe, but not been successful.  This is very, very close!

She made hers sweet and dry… it was not creamy like traditional fudge is.  It sorta ruined me forever because most are creamy! (da) But I like mine dry and crumbly and flakey.

I know, I know, I am weird.

Brown Butter Fudge

Well, it turned out creamy anyway.  Good for you!  Not so good for me.

So I will just keep working on the consistency part.  But that flavor part has to stay exactly like this.  Almost perfect!

5 from 1 vote
    Brown Butter Fudge
    Brown Butter Fudge
    Prep Time
    20 mins
    Cook Time
    1 hr 10 mins
    Total Time
    1 hr 30 mins

This brown butter fudge gets all its sweet flavor from the decadent browned butter. Its a show stopper!

Course: Dessert
    Cuisine: American
    Keyword: Brown Butter Fudge
    Servings: 64 squares
    Author: Amanda Rettke
    Ingredients
    • 1 stick butter
    • 3 c granulated sugar
    • 7 oz evaporated milk
    • 1/2 c light corn syrup
    • 1/2 c powdered sugar
    Instructions
    1. Place the butter in a medium-large saucepan over medium-high heat. (Try to use a pan with a light bottom)
    2. Melt the butter and continue to cook it until it is a rich, golden brown. Keep a close eye on it as it cooks and stir it every few minutes so that it does not scorch on the bottom. The butter should smell toasty and have a beautiful nutty color.

3. Once the butter is browned, add the sugar, evaporated milk, and corn syrup. Stir sugar until it is completely dissolved.

4. Insert candy thermometer to the side of your saucepan. Continue to slowly cook the sugar mixture until it reaches 238 degrees or soft ball stage.

5. Once the temperature reaches 238 degrees, remove the candy from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.

6. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray
    7. Once the candy is room temperature, or about 45 degrees, pour into into stand mixer. Start mixer on low and slowly add in powdered sugar. Once the sugar is mostly incorporated turn the mixer to high and beat until fudge looses its shine. It should be fairly thick. (This took about five minutes.)

8. Pour the fudge into the prepared pan, and smooth it into an even layer. Allow the fudge to set at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

9. You can store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for a few weeks.

Adapted from About.com.

It tastes like a caramel fudge.  And a vanilla fudge.

And is dangerous if kept to close.

Brown Butter Fudge

I think I better make a few more batches for some more quality testing. 😉

• Jump to Recipe
  • Pin

Comments

• Cindy says:

I like my fudge dry and crumbly too! I think the stuff I like is called Penuche but I’m not good at making it. Creamy fudge with marshmallows or sweet and condensed milk is good, it’s just not my idea of Real Fudge that my mother use to make.

• Amanda says:

Yes! There is definitely something about what we grew up with in terms of what we prefer today. 🙂

• Cindy says:

Absolutely, and your addition of the browned butter is awesome!

• Amanda says:

Thank you!

• Becca from It's Yummi! says:

Ohhh, Amanda…there are NO words appropriate enough to describe the glory of this dessert ♥

PINNED to my “Browned Butter Goodness” board!

• Amanda says:

Thank you so much sweet Becca!!

• Heather Christo says:

uuuuummmm, I’m pretty sure you had me at brown butter…..

• ashley-bakerbynature says:

I love fudge like a wild woman! And with brown butter in the mix?! Psssh! I’m done for.

• Liz @ Virtually Homemade says:

Oh my gosh – brown butter fudge! I’m in love 🙂

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says:

You are a girl after my own heart! Fudge is my favorite…but with browned butter?! GAH! LOVE!

• Michelle says:

I vote crumbly fudge too. I have a recipe that my mum used to make. It is crumbly but can be a bit tricky to get right. I’ll email a photo of the recipe to you. I hope it’s just like your grandma used to make. 🙂

• Lisa Anderson says:

I like my fudge the same way…I actually have a PB recipe that I use that is just like that and I don’t like any other PB fudge.

• Cookin Canuck says:

You have just taken fudge to a whole new level. I can imagine that the brown butter adds a wonderful, nutty layer of flavor.

• Melanie @ Carmel Moments says:

Looks awesome. I’m a fudge lover for sure and I bet this would add a few lbs to the waist this holiday. Gotta try!

• Amanda says:

Yay! Or boo. Nothing being added to the waist is good right? I will offer to tale one for the team~! 🙂

• Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen says:

Oh my word, I have to have this!

• Amanda says:

Hope you do! So yummy. 🙂

• Karen says:

You need to come to Scotland and try Tablet. It sounds very similar to the old type of fudge your great grandma used to make.

• Amanda says:

I just might have to take you up on that! 🙂

• My heart skipped a beat when I read the title. Mmmm.

• Chrissy says:

1)Kinda sounds like you’re talking about candy made when there’s a lot of moisture in the air. It’s kind of crumbly and the sugar particles are a little bigger. 2) Is your room temperature 45′? 3)Browned butter, oh my…

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Mmmm…..brown butter.

• Amanda says:

Yup. 🙂

• Caitlin says:

Oh, I love the dry fudge too! I always try to make mine come out that way. I think it needs to be slightly overcooked, but obviously not too overcooked…it’s a fine line!

This looks delicious!

• Thea says:

In Scotland, the creamy stuff is called fudge – the dry crumbly stuff is “tablet”. Maybe you could try browning the butter in this recipe -> http://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/71/Milk-Tablet to get the texture and flavour you want? I might just have to try it for christmas!

• Barbara C says:

I like it grainy too! I went to the UK Carnation link. Lots of good advice in the comment section from the Carnation folks. I also found a blog from a gal in Seattle -> http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2010/06/scottish-tablet.html. Seems as if the secret is in the last step of beating the mixture after it’s come to temperature. Hope it’s okay to reference another blog!! I will definitely be trying this. Makes me feel all international!! Maybe we’ll develop a good Scottish brogue!!

• Penny says:

For my fudge I didn’t wait for it to cool. I immediately transfered it from the pan to a large glass bowl and another bowl full of ice to use as a cooler as necessary and just got the old hand mixer out and ran it on medium high and beat the dickens out of it. I beat for about 10 minutes constantly turning the bowl and stirring stirring stirring, sitting it on the ice occasionally til the shine went and it became almost like a fondant. Did I spell that right? Lol. When I dumped it in the pan it was almost like dough. I smoothed it out with a small rolling pin. When I went back to get the beaters to clean, u know what I mean, the stuff on them was flaky dry and creamy. Delicious! Now how the stuff in the pan will turn out is yet to be determined but the stuff that went into the pan was the exact same stuff that was on the beaters with a 30 second difference. Its been in the fridge about 15 minutes. Its cooling and I nicked off a little corner and things are looking very promising… for now.. Tomorrow it could be a brick…Lol

• Amanda says:

What a great alternative Penny… I will try it your way! Thank you!

• Penny says:

UPDATE! The fudged is delicious! Whether or not the flaky factor is to your liking is up to you but it turned out really great to my taste. Also wanted you to know I really did beat it for 10 full minutes. I set a timer so I could see where I was at when it went off. And I only used the ice maybe 4 times and only for 30 seconds or so at a time. Good luck… and Merry Christmas…and Happy New Year… :~)

• Susan Chase says:

Sounds so delicious. Rather like penuche? I am wondering about the room temperture of 45 deg? That seems rather cool.

• Faith R says:

I think if you were to transfer your fudge to a mixing bowl before putting it in the pan and beat it for a bit it would get crumbly. Also if you let it air dry before putting it in the fridge.

Thank you for this recipe! I recently discovered brown butter and thought it would make amazing fudge. Have you tried any brown butter recipes from smitten kitchen?

• Amanda says:

Excellent suggestion! Thank you!

• Carlyfay328 says:

My grandmother gave up chocolate years ago (the eighties I believe?) and I would love to make her some fudge she can actually have! Thanks so much!! 🙂

• Anne Powers says:

I made this yesterday – while the taste is divine the texture was disappointing. It never set up and is still sticky and super soft. I don’t know where I made my wrong turn.

• Amanda says:

My apologies! Fudge can be difficult. I wish I could help troubleshoot with you!

• Shannon says:

So I’m sure this won’t get answered on such an old post. How do you think brown sugar would fare instead if granulated? There is just something I love about brown sugar and browned butter. Do you think I’d still need corn syrup?

• Amanda says:

I am not sure, I have not experimented with that in this recipe! But I like how you think! 🙂