Don’t let the name scare you… these Buffalo Chicken Hot Dogs are actually an amazing flavor combination and one you will come back to again and again! This surprising mash-up is one you weren’t expecting to love, but will! If you love buffalo chicken, make sure to check out my Stuffed Buffalo Chicken and Buffalo Chicken Sliders!
Buffalo Chicken Hot Dog
Let’s go ahead and get the giant elephant out of the room. Yes, I did just put shredded buffalo chicken on top of a hot dog. Yes, I did smother it in hot sauce and ranch dressing. Yes, I was terrified to take the first bite. But then I did and I was super impressed with myself. SO GOOD!! My advice? Make them. Don’t overthink it… just make them (it’s EASY!) and then take your first bite. I think you will see what I mean!
Buffalo Chicken Hot Dog Recipe
So, I think we have established that this recipe is just a little bit unorthodox, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t amazing. Some of the best recipes of all time came from a crazy flash of inspiration, much like this one. For this recipe, the inspiration came from my homemade buffalo sauce. We had been experimenting with different recipes that could use it in. I fell in love with the homemade buffalo sauce mixed together with the homemade shredded chicken and wanted to put it on everything. We happened to have some hot dogs out that day and I figured…why not? So glad I did.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Hot Dogs
I consider it a huge bonus that this incredible recipe is also very easy to make. I like to start with some homemade shredded chicken. I make huge batches of this stuff at the beginning of the week. It is great on its own or to quickly throw together buffalo chicken wraps or BBQ chicken grilled cheese sandwiches. You can buy this at the store already cooked too, but it takes about 10 minutes and it comes out perfect every single time. Once you have the chicken ready, the rest is a breeze.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken with the buffalo sauce, the ranch dressing, and the cheese.
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water, and set it over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add the hot dogs and reduce heat to medium. Cook the hotdogs through (about 5 minutes).
- Assemble the hot dog in this order: bun, hot dog, shredded chicken (about 2 tablespoons per hot dog), drizzle with hot sauce, ranch, and top with scallions and blue cheese crumbles.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Hot Dogs
In the summer, we try to cook as many meals on the grill as possible. If you want the hot dogs in this recipe grilled instead of boiled, you can, and absolutely should do that. To grill the hot dogs:
- Get half the grill medium hot and keep the other half unheated.
- Place the hot dogs over the heat and keep turning them to get grill marks all around. They will cook fast so watch them carefully.
- When the hot dogs start to expand, they’re done.
- Roll the hot dogs over to the unheated part of the grill, then you can toast your buns too. I will put a light coating of oil on the buns to encourage them to toast up.
- Immediately pop the dogs into the buns, so any juices go right into the bread.
- Top with chicken mixture, ranch, hot sauce, scallions, and blue cheese crumbles.
Buffalo Chicken Hot Dogs
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1 tablespoon scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon blue cheese crumbles, (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing (or more to taste)
- In a medium bowl mix together warm shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and cheese. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, filled half-way with water, heat the hot dogs (about 5 minutes)
- To assemble, open one bun, add cooked hot dog, shredded chicken, scallions, and blue cheese crumbles. Drizzle with ranch dressing and buffalo sauce. Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.