Seriously addicting… this Cake Gravy is sweet, creamy and utterly delicious over almost anything you can think of! But especially, CAKE! Try it on my Chocolate Pound Cake, Vanilla Pound Cake, even Lemon Pound Cake! And if you love this recipe you will love my Chocolate Cake Gravy!
Have you heard of Cake Gravy? No? Well, friends, you are absolutely 100% missing out! This luscious pourable “gravy” is a fun alternative to topping your cake other than classic frosting or powdered sugar glaze! You will be instantly hooked!
Reasons why I love this Cake Gravy:
- Well it’s gravy for cake, no explanation needed there.
- The flavor of the sugar and vanilla and almond with a pinch of salt give this just the right balance.
- It’s completely different from all the things.
- You can practically put it on ALL the desserts you can think of!
So is that enough explanation needed to get you to try this yet? If not, I’m sure I can come up with another HUGE list of reasons why you need to run and make this Cake Gravy as fast as you can!
Just in case you are thinking… this sounds familiar! It’s because this recipe is similar to a traditional ermine frosting. 🙂
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In saucepan add flour, salt and sugar and whisk until combined.
- Pour in your milk and heat over medium heat until it starts to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in your butter and extracts and stir until butter is melted.
- Set aside to cool slightly and thicken a bit.
- Pour over sweet breads, bundt cakes, pound cakes, etc.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Photos by Tornadough Alli
Is there another extract other then 1/2 tsp. almond extract? I don’t care for the flavor of the almond, but like vanilla & other extracts.
My mother-in-law called cake gravy Rabbit Juice because she would add just a little bit of red food coloring to make it look pink for Easter.
Do you have other flavors of gravy?
I realize this was put on a cake, but surely there are other flavors of gravy, to go with other flavors of cakes. It would be great to have choices. Maybe some mix and match.
What if someone is allergic to peanuts is there something to replace almond extract
My mom used to make the cake and pudding like Linda Fox’s comment. Part of the cake batter is used for the pudding. I would LOVE to have the recipe:)
Could Dhirley Ogle Huskey please share her recipe.
My dear elderly friend made a wonderfully delicious cake and gravy. Of course I was too young to get the recipe, thought she would live forever!
But I’ve never tasted anything like it. I hope this brings back beautiful memories of my dear friend!
This looks delicious! Will it harden enough to use in place of glaze on cookies?
My Mother In Law used to make a Hard Sauce back in the 70’s I cannot find her recipe but do remember it was made on the Stove. Have you ever heard of a Hard Sauce. I am pretty sure it hardened when it cooled. Thank you