Cherry Chip Cookies are soft cream cheese sugar cookies made with a sugar cookie mix and loaded with lots of cherry baking chips. Try my Giant Sugar Cookies with Pink Buttercream for another fun way to make sugar cookies!
Cherry Chip Cookies
Sugar cookies are basic but delicious cookies that have become known for cut-out shapes and decorating. The cookies can also be soft and chewy, like my Amish Sugar Cookies. These Cherry Chip Cookies are soft, chewy, and made with storebought sugar cookie mix and just three additional ingredients.
Cherry Chip Cookies Ingredients
With just four ingredients, you can get these soft cookies made in no time! They are made with sugar cookie mix, but if you want to make them homemade, add the cherry chips to my Amish Sugar Cookie recipe.
Cream Cheese: Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before beating with a mixer.
Egg: Just like the cream cheese, the egg should also be at room temperature.
Sugar Cookie Mix: Buy a package of sugar cookie mix to add to the other ingredients. Again, if you prefer a homemade version of these cookies, go to my Amish Sugar Cookie recipe.
Cherry Baking Chips: I used the mini cherry baking chips. Wondering where on earth to get cherry morsels? You can buy Sweet Cherry Chips from Amazon. (affiliate link) They are stocked in my grocery store, but you might want to call your grocery store to see if they have them. If you have ever had a cherry dip cone from Dairy Queen, that is EXACTLY what they taste like!
Can I Freeze Cookies?
Yes! This batch yields 24 cookies, so you can freeze the cookies after they are baked or freeze the dough. To freeze the cookies after they have been baked, let them cool completely. Place the cooled cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place them in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Remove from the freezer and store in a freezer-safe container for 3-4 weeks.
To freeze the dough, place the balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until the dough balls are completely frozen. Once frozen, transfer the dough to freezer-safe zipper bags. When ready to bake, simply bake as many of the cookies as you need from frozen. You may need to increase the baking time by 1-2 minutes.
Cherry Chip Cookies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 package (17.5 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup cherry baking chips*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and mix on medium until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Slowly add the sugar cookie mix to the bowl, and continue to mix on medium until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Gently fold in the cherry chips.
- Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, add the dough to the lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches on each side to allow for spreading.
- Bake 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.