Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is a dessert that is as easy to make as it is delicious. Cherry pie filling is covered with chocolate cake mix and topped with butter, all ‘dumped’ in one pan, and baked together for a chocolate-cherry treat. Try my Cherry Dump Cake for another easy sweet treat.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
The genius that decided to dump a bunch of dessert staples into a pan and see what happens next deserves an award. They are my hero. Dump cakes are a dream recipe for busy people. And, this chocolate cherry combination is perfect for and just as easy as, opening a box of chocolate-covered cherries!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
For this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe, you need a box of chocolate cake mix, your favorite can of cherry pie filling, some almond extract, and some cold butter.
To make the dump cake, grease a 12-inch, oven-safe skillet. You can also use a 9×9-inch baking pan or 9×13-inch pan.
- Pour the cherry pie filling and almond extract into the bottom of the pan. Mix it together, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling, making sure to get it all the way to the edges.
- Place the tabs of butter on top and bake for about an hour, or until the topping is golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling.
Can You Make a Crockpot Dump Cake?
You can and you should! It is literally the exact same recipe and instructions, except you use a crockpot instead of the skillet and an oven.
For this method, you will put the cherry pie filling in the bottom of a greased crockpot, mix in the almond extract and then top with the cake, and then butter, and then cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
The basic topping choices for this dump cake are whipped cream or ice cream. Try making your own whipped cream for a topping!
Vanilla ice cream is also a perfect complement to the buttery, cakey, cherry flavors in the dump cake. You could drizzle some homemade chocolate syrup over the top for added flair (and chocolate) if you want as well!
How to Store Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
I prefer to put this cake in individual airtight containers and store it in the refrigerator. It should last 3-4 days.
More Dump Cakes
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 2 cans (42 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch oven-safe skillet. (You could also use a 9×9-inch or 9×13-inch baking dish.)
- In the prepared skillet or baking dish, add the cherry pie filling and the almond extract. Mix together and spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the top, being careful to cover all of the pie filling.
- Slice the butter into small pads (about 16) and spread them out evenly over the top of the cake mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the topping is golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I did😭! No cherry pie filling found after searching 2 stores. So, I used canned cherries. I have a feeling it’s going to be an epic fail😭😭😭. My fault though
Your recipe is sooooo good!!! I have one question, can I add a box of chocolate pudding to this recipe to make it gooier? I’ve seen many recipes that include chocolate pudding but not cherries, so just wondering if they can be combined.
Would you possibly have a Sugar free cake/cookie recipes. If not what about useing sugar substitute THANKYOU this is greatly appreciated
Wow I am amazed that this worked turned out really good
How can I make this in silicone muffin cups?
Can you exclude the almond extract? I don’t have any and want to make this today🤗
Oh my goodness gracious. I would keep it on the back of the stove until it was gone, so one day.