This delicious Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake with strawberries, blueberries and chocolate sauce is the ideal treat! Fresh fruit is the perfect complement to this chocolatey twist on a classic dessert. If you love strawberry shortcake, be sure to try my Strawberry Shortcake Mousse Cups!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry shortcakes have been around forever, it seems. In fact, there were many fruits mentioned in past cookbooks used to make this delicious dessert including peaches, raspberries, and bananas. But, strawberry has seemed to stand the test of time as the traditional shortcake recipe. Remember the character named after the popular dessert? I decided to deviate a bit from the traditional recipe by making these chocolate shortcakes, but still topping them with fruit and whipped cream. After all, sometimes I need a little chocolate in my life!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
It all starts with the chocolate shortcakes in this recipe. Then, of course, it’s all about the fruit and whipped cream topping.
Chocolate Shortcake Ingredients (full recipe below)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking cocoa
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
- Egg white (for egg wash)
- Coarse sugar
- Chocolate sauce
- Cool whip
How to Make Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Before you can load up the shortcakes with the fruit and whipped cream, you need to bake the chocolate shortcakes. To get started, get out your ingredients, a large mixing bowl, and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In the bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Next, cut in the butter (leaving little lumps of butter) and chocolate chips until crumbly.
- Then, add the whipping cream and stir until everything is moistened.
- Make 8 patties out of the dough (think a hockey puck shape or tuna can), and place each patty on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each patty with egg wash, sprinkle on the coarse sugar, and add a few more chocolate chips on top.
- Finally, bake the shortcakes for 11-13 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick. Allow them to cool before adding the toppings.
Assembling the Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
Once the shortcakes have cooled, it’s time to get them ready to be layered with the fruit and whipped topping. It’s almost like you are making a chocolate shortcake sandwich. So, cut each shortcake in half, laying the bottom half of each on a plate. Top this half with the strawberries, blueberries, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. Cover this with the other half of the shortcake. Then, add more whipped cream, fruit, and chocolate sauce. Be ready to taste your new favorite dessert!
Looking for More Desserts?
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (29.5g) baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (45g) heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg, for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sugar
- 20 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Chocolate Sauce
- Cool Whip, or homemade whipped cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in butter and chocolate chips until crumbly.
- Add whipping cream and stir until just moistened.
- Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-inches thick. (They will be similar in size and shape to a hockey puck.)
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
- Bake at 450°F for 11-13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Cut cooled chocolate shortcake in half.
- Place bottom half of shortcake on a plate and cover in strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce.
- Set top layer of shortcake on top. Cover in whipped cream, fruit, and chocolate sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
You can sneak treats into my lunch anytime. Especially if it’s chocolate strawberry shortcake!
This chocolate strawberry shortcake looks delicious!! 🙂
Love the idea of chocolate shortcake,Thanks for sharing
Hello, I followed the recipe however my dough was quite powdery and when our from the oven, it’s quite hard. More like cookie instead of cake. Any idea why is it so? Please advise. Thank you!!