This delicious Chocolate Shortcake with Strawberries, Blueberries and Chocolate Sauce is the ideal snack! Fresh fruit is the perfect complement to this sweet treat.
I love making cookies and taking care of my family! But it wasn’t always this way. There was a time in my life where baking was something bakeries did and that having kids was not a part of the plan.
In fact, if you would have asked me 15 years ago (before kids) what I most wanted for my (future) kids I would have said something horribly vain and ridiculous like, “I want them to be cute.”
Today if you were to ask me what I want most for my kids the answer is simple.
I want them to be healthy and kind.
The tough part is, having a baking blog certainly doesn’t contribute to the healthy part. My life is full of decadent cakes and cookies and frostings and chocolate. That is one reason I am a vigilant when it comes to their health. Occasional treats are fine, but the big picture is what is really on my mind… developing good habits that will last a lifetime.
My motto: Take care of the body that God gave you and do it in a way that makes the most sense for our lifestyle.
We are going to eat sugar, that is just a fact. So what can I do to help their little bodies and teeth stay as healthy as possible? Well, I have spent hours and hours and hours researching this and one thing seems to be a common factor in all the advice I get.
Preventative is best.
Believing very strong in the preventative approach led me to research natural ways to prevent tooth decay and cavities. We often gargle with peroxide and practice oil pulling. You would not believe how effective these methods are and how LITTLE time we spend at the dentist!
We do this because you KNOW I will be sneaking treats in their lunches!
This delicious Chocolate Shortcake with Strawberries, Blueberries and Chocolate Sauce is the ideal snack!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup blueberries
- 20 strawberries sliced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter and chocolate chips until crumbly.
- Add whipping cream and stir until just moistened.
- Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. (Will be similar in size and shape to a hockey puck)
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
- Bake at 450Ā° for 11-13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cut cool chocolate shortcake in half.
Place bottom half on plate and cover in strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce.
Set top layer of shortcake on top. Cover in whipped cream, fruit, and chocolate sauce.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Speaking of sweets… if you love the classic Strawberry Shortcake, you are going to absolutely love this chocolately twist on a classic!