This banana bread recipe is the best way to use up those brown bananas! It’s an easy and super moist banana bread with a little cream cheese surprise sandwiched in-between. You can also try my Best Ever Banana Muffins if you want a delicious morning treat!
Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread
The cream cheese layer that happens to taste just like cheesecake is the perfect addition to any banana bread recipe. It adds a smooth, creaminess to the texture of the bread.
I know some people love butter on their banana bread, myself included. Whip up a little cinnamon butter and spread that on or use regular butter, you really can’t go wrong!
Does banana bread need to be refrigerated?
No, this cream cheese banana bread doesn’t need to be refrigerated. It can be kept at room temperature for about a week while being stored in an airtight container. You are more than welcome to store it in the fridge if it makes you feel more comfortable, but it’s unnecessary.
Can you leave the cream cheese out of this easy banana bread recipe?
Yes! I don’t know why you would though. 😉
Banana Bread Recipe Variations
- Stir in some chopped walnuts or semi-sweet chocolate chips to the banana bread batter.
- Try adding 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the cream cheese batter.
- Add some streusel to the top.
Did you know that you can freeze brown overripe bananas? Just peel and place into a freezer bag and freeze them. Let them sit at room temperature until they thaw out. The inside will be like a banana puree and perfect for any banana bread recipe. Plus you’ll always know that you have ripe bananas for a quick banana bread recipe.
This banana bread recipe is the best way to use up those brown bananas!
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp. McCormick vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp. McCormick vanilla extract
- 2 cups (256g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese and sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on medium until combined.
- Add the flour and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add in the ripe bananas and beat with a hand mixer until mashed.
- Add the melted butter and both sugars. Mix with a hand mixer until combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add the baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until incorporated.
- Pour 3/4 of the batter into the loaf pan.
Add dollops of the cream cheese mixture to cover all of the banana bread batter. Using a light hand, spread it to cover any spots with banana bread batter still showing through.
Add the remaining batter on top of the cream cheese filling. I added it in dollops to cover all of the cream cheese.
Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If moist crumbs are stuck on the toothpick, it is done. If it comes out with batter, give it an additional few minutes before testing again.
Let the bread cool completely and turn out onto a serving plate. Cut and serve.
Store in an airtight container.
I’m Miranda from the blog Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt and the author of the Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook. Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt is a blog full of more desserts, baked goodies, and loads of tips and tricks.
Find more banana bread recipes here: