This cake is completely inspired by a “100 Grand” candy bar.
Crispy Chocolate Caramel Cake
- 1/2 c 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c Caramel Dessert Topping
- 2 c sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c milk
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Beat butter, eggs, and sugar in mixer on medium high speed. With mixer switched to low, slowly add in
- caramel topping, then switch mixer back to medium high. Blend for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternating with the milk (beginning and ending with the flour) add flour mixture and milk to sugar mixture.
- Blend until just combined.
- Divide batter between two cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before assembling cake.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Its a caramel cake drenched in caramel icing. Rice Krispies cover the cake which is then covered in milk chocolate ganache.
Its pretty darn sweet.
I might so bold as to even say its the sweetest cake I have ever concocted. Which is kinda saying a lot for me. My blog doesn’t exactly equal “subtle flavor”.
Why do I make such really really not healthy things? (said in my best three year old voice)
To assemble this cake I baked up a caramel cake. (Recipe inspired by one found on MarthaStewart.com)
I then melted a 12 ounce bag of caramel bits and 2 tbsp water over medium high heat. Let the caramel cool for a few minutes away from the heat. In my glorious KitchenAid stand mixer I added three cups of powder sugar. When the caramel has cooled a bit, and with the mixer on low, slowly add caramel to powder sugar. I then added almost 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Place one layer of caramel on cake stand and then add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of caramel frosting. Place other caramel cake on top and cover with remaining caramel frosting.
Take one cup of Rice Krispies and press into caramel frosting. Completely cover cake in Rice Krispies. Place cake in fridge for 10 minutes to set up.
Prepare milk chocolate ganache.
Remove cake from fridge and place parchment strips around the base of cake stand.
Slowly pour milk chocolate ganache over cake. Make sure top and sides are completely covered. Place back in fridge until ready to serve.
Tips for Success:
This cake is best the day its made. On day two the Rice Krispies start to soften and lose their crunch, and while the great flavor is still there, the texture is not as appealing.
If your ganache is too runny (as mine was!) simply place in mixer and whip it. I even added powder sugar in 1/2 cup increments to thicken my ganache.
I am often inspired by weird things. If you want to see some other examples, here are a few!
Oreo Covered Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
i was wondering if there is a video of the
crispy chocolate caramel cake….
100 grand bar