Crispy Pretzel Bars are an easy dessert bar to make loaded with peanut butter, crispy rice cereal, pretzels, and M&M chocolate candies. If you happen to love Scotcheroos (Special K Bars) then you are going to be obsessed with this sweet & salty adaptation!
Crispy Pretzel M&M Bars
I love rice crispy bars and scotcheroos but it is nice to switch things up a bit when it comes to the bars. In this recipe, there are no marshmallows, but still lots of crispy rice cereal and a no-bake treat. These can be made in just a few minutes and are a great after-school snack or treat to grab with your lunch. And, hey, there is cereal in the mix, so why not enjoy one for breakfast!
Corn Syrup: Use light corn syrup in this recipe; dark corn syrup has more molasses and a more robust flavor.
Sugar: Granulated sugar, also known as white sugar or regular sugar, is mixed with corn syrup.
Peanut Butter: I prefer creamy peanut butter; there is plenty of crunch from the pretzels.
Cereal: Choose crispy rice cereal you have on hand, like Rice Krispies.
Pretzels: Roughly chop some regular, salted pretzels.
Candies: Look for plain M&M chocolate candies for a little chocolate added to the mix.
How to Make Crispy Pretzel M&M Bars
To make these bars, first, add corn syrup and sugar to a large pot over medium heat. Stir frequently until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the peanut butter. Mix in the peanut butter until the mixture is smooth.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, add the rice cereal and most of the pretzels and M&M candies. Save about 1/4 cup of each of the pretzels and M&M’s for the topping. Pour the sugar and peanut butter mixture over the cereal, pretzels, and M&M’s. Use a rubber spatula to get all the ingredients coated.
Working quickly, pour the mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it out evenly in the dish. Top with the reserved pretzels and M&M’s. Let the bars set at room temperature before cutting and serving.
How to Store the Bars
To store the bars, keep them in a sealed container at room temperature. They will last about a week. You can also freeze these bars for up to three months.
Looking for More No-Bake Treats?
Crispy Pretzel M&M Bars
- 1 cup (341g) light corn syrup
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (258g) creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups (116g) crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups (100g) pretzels, roughly chopped, divided
- 1 cup (203g) M&M candies, divided
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add corn syrup and sugar, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved (4-5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Stir the mixture until creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, 1¾ cups pretzels, and ¾ cup M&M's. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the top. Using a rubber spatula, stir until fully coated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with the remaining pretzels and M&M's. Allow the bars to set at room temperature before cutting and serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.