I’ve Got News

filed under: Rose + Rosette Cakes on November 13, 2012

You may or may not have noticed, but I have been absent.  Not blogging.  Not really facebooking.  Not tweeting.  Not Instagraming.  Not pinning.

And I have missed you.  Missed your kind words and your blogs and your awesome pins and seeing what you are up to on twitter.

And soon, I am hoping to get back in the groove again.   The separation anxiety has been too much.

pink rose cake

Well, I might as well tell you why.

In about five months we will be gaining another member to our family.  We are pregnant!  Well, *I* am pregnant.  But my dear hubby has been picking up the slack like crazy for the last few months so he gets full credit too.

Although we are thrilled and beaming and so, so thankful for this blessing, it has not been easy.  I have been very sick.  Its been severe nausea/sickness and exhaustion and migraines and some other not so fun stuff.  For someone who suffers from motion sickness even when not preggers, this nausea has been debilitation for me.   I would look at my computer screen and get sick.  It got to the point where I had to hide my computer because the mere idea of being on it would make me sick.

blue rose cake

But, as of the last couple days, things are starting to look up.  I am typing and not dizzy.  YAY!

The idea of baking doesn’t make me want to set my kitchen on fire so I will not have to go near it.  I mean, not that I thought that.  That would be crazy.

So hopefully, over the next five months, I will be able to get back to what I love.  Baking. Blogging.  And hanging out with you.

gender cake

For the first time ever, we are planning on not finding out the gender of our newest miracle.  This being our fifth child, I think we will be able to handle it.  I mean, logistically.  Emotionally I might be in the fetal position in my closet eating cool ranch Doritos and ceasar salad (that has been my cravings of late) because I CANT TAKE THE SUSPENSE.

I might need to lean on you for support.  Please tell me you have done this and it didn’t make you crazy.  Because if there is the slightest chance it will be stressful I might start stalking our ulstrasound tech.

pink slice cake

My husband and children have unanimously decided that its a girl.  However, we currently have three boys and one girl, so I think the odds are in favor of a boy.  I have no idea.  I have never guessed right with any of them!

But no matter what we are blessed with, we know he/she is already so completely and utterly loved.

And I just want to really apologize for how absent I have been.  I know I mentioned it before, but I sincerely miss you all.  Your comments and interaction in the iambaker community has been such a delight!  Getting to know you better is a true joy.

Oh, and one more thought. In making this cake I got to thinking… not only is this is fun “We’re Pregnant!” cake, but could also be a fun Gender Reveal cake!

Maybe I will just update this post when our new addition arrives! 🙂

***Just in case you want to know, I call this cake the Rose Cake.  Its an original cake the I created in Feb. of 2011 and have made many since!  You can see my full tutorial here, or my video tutorial here!

Comments

• Christina Main says:

I”m just so excited and happy for you Amanda! SO HAPPY!

• maggie says:

I’ve already congratulated you on Instagram, but I’m congratulating you again!

I think we are due around the same time (April?) I too was very sick. I started out nauseous and then for about 3 and half weeks I was vomiting every day. I know, gross, but really it’s worse than ‘just’ nausea. I am 18 weeks along today, with my first, and doing fine though still taking unisom + B6 at bedtime to kill off daytime nausea.

We are not finding out the gender either, and I like the idea of my husband getting to announce it 😉
    Yay! Cheers (& cake!) to babies!

• Amanda says:

Congrats Maggie!!! Sounds like we have a heck of a lot in common! 🙂 Glad you are feeling better and I hope that continues!

• Monica says:

We were “old-fashioned”, too, and did not find out the sex of our babies before they were born. The best part was that my doctor knew this, and the instant each one was born she looked to my husband and asked HIM to tell me what we had! It was very exciting. (Warning: you will get a lot of pressure from others who think they just HAVE to know, but it’s kind of fun to think that a “secret” can’t be pried from you because you don’t even know the answer!) Here’s wishing you a healthy baby! 😉

• SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen says:

Well this is exciting!! Congratulations.

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh my GOODNESS!!! Congratulations! Baby & book in the same year!!!

We did not find out what we were having and it was really fun and exciting! 🙂 Hope you continue to feel better! Take it easy, girl!!! Let your hubby pamper you!

• Amanda says:

I had no idea you guys waited to find out for your little man… I LOVE that about you!! 🙂

• Michelle @KrumbleCakes&Sweets says:

Congratulations!! Sending lots of prayers your way. Awesome looking cake by the way. You are very talented.

• Amanda says:

Thank you!

• Beth says:

Don’t find out the sex! For our third child (already had a boy and a girl) we decided to not find out the gender. Getting names for both sex was difficult, but the surprise was so worth it! My husband was able to announce the sex of the baby girl and it was SUCH a wonderful moment! You can do it! You can wait! 🙂

• kathryn p says:

WooHooo!!! What happy news! Always sooo exciting. I had four and we went for the surprise everytime! It was fun! It added to the “gift” aspect of a new child. I will say that it kept my oldest, my daughter, from being disappointed with her last sibling. We lived where three roads in our neighborhood converged, and all three of us girls were expecting that spring. I had Natalie and her two brothers. Needless to say, she wanted a sister. Well, Heather had a girl,two weeks later Beth had a girl. I figured the odds were against Natalie’s wish and I was right. She got brother 3. But, he made up for it by getting her on tv and notoriety at school by being born in the car en route! Ha ha! Happy times! Best wishes and I look forward to hearing more. (Secretly I hope your daughter has better luck than mine did and I hope she has red hair like beautiful Eddie)
    Kathryn BTW my hubby is one of eight!

• Becky says:

Congratulations to you and your family! Very happy for all of you!

• Jen M O says:

Congratulations! What wonderful news.

• this is lemonade says:

Congratulations are definitely in order! Well done for getting through the rough patch, hope all goes much more smoothly from now on. It’s great to have you back. I love how the whole family is in anticipation to see whether it’ll be a girl/boy. Don’t find out and spoil the fun 😉 Stick with it – what a blessing for the little one to be so eagerly awaited 🙂 Take care!

• Teacher says:

Congratulations and all the best!

• Aunt LoLo says:

Congrats!!! (And I’m with you – I didn’t feel like being bubbly and happy and shiny and BLOGGY…when all I really felt like doing was throwing up and going back to bed. So I have blogged maybe…four times, since I got pregnant 7 months ago. ;-))

Congrats again!

• Susan says:

Dearest Amanda,

Congratulations!

We are expecting the arrival of our fifth at any moment!

May God bless you and strengthen you as you grow this new little one – boy or girl!

Love, Susan

• Catie says:

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you. Just a bit of encouragement; I’m pregnant with my 3rd (20 weeks today, halfway!!!) and we haven’t found out with our first two nor do we plan to find out with this one. My husband says it’s the one surprise in life where you’re going to be perfectly happy either way, so why not have it be a big reveal when the baby gets here. Also logistically it works out just fine too, just bring a boy and a girl outfit to the hospital and go from there. 🙂

Now personally I’m hoping for a girl this time around, my first two are boys.

Good luck and I hope you keep feeling better.

Catie

• Amanda says:

Oh for exciting!!! Congrats on being halfway too.. thats exciting in itself! 🙂 Hope you are feeling great and hope you get the little princess you are hoping for… girls are sure a blessing!

• Char says:

Congrats!

I have two girls, ages 7 and 2.5. Waited until the delivery room to find out boy/girl for both. Drove the grandparents nuts, but was totally worth it!

• Roanne says:

This holiday season will be filled with even more joy. Congratulations to you and your family. Nice to have you back.

• Linnea says:

Congratulations!
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in to say that we didn’t find out the gender of either of our kids, and it was a wonderful experience! Really motivating during labor and really magical in that moment of discovery! And actually it’s quite possible to manage it even if you don’t already have all the kid stuff – just buy the big things (crib, car seat, stroller, what have you) in neutral colors. It’s really the smarter financial decision if you plan on having more children anyway. When it comes to gender-specific clothes I don’t know a single mom who hasn’t been showered with baby clothes by friends and family. In fact that’s pretty much all they ever get for gifts!
    And in your case you are already prepared either way and good to go!
    Of course I love finding out what my friends are having too so I’m certainly not against it, I just really enjoyed the experience and always encourage people to give it a chance!

• Maya says:

I am an admirer of your blog and recipes. Congrats on the new baby. Don’t worry about the sex. It is a gift from God and you will love him/her the same. I hope you keep feeling better every day and every minute. I have 3 of my own. Had problems with #1 and #3. hugged the toiletseat (as my x would put it) every morning with all of them to the last day…not fun. As soon as you held that baby in my arms the first time, all the pain and misery evaporated…I wish you the best with your family.

• Timestep says:

Congrats!

I never found out the sex of either child until the day they were born. There was no better reward after a hard labor than being greeted by your husband telling you if you had just labored a boy or a girl.

The second one was a little tougher. I moved about halfway through my pregnancy. Prior to moving I had an amnio performed. About week 35 I thought about calling my former OB and asking what the amnio report said about the sex of the baby. But, I stayed strong.

I can tell you it’s worth the wait.

• Katie | The Hill Country Cook says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Glad you are feeling better. I don’t have kids yet, but the morning sickness terrifies me.
    Surprises are great too!! WOOHOOO

• Christy says:

I have four children. We found out through ultrasound the gender of our first three. All boys. When I found out I was pregnant with #4, we decided we’d wait until the baby was born to learn the gender. Many times, I wanted to give in and just find out. But we waited. The surprise of birthing a baby girl after three boys was *so* worth the wait!!! <3

• Kim says:

Just want to say congratulations!! I read your blog when I need a pic-me-up or sugar fix… Big smile here.

I have to commend you on waiting to find out the sex of your new babe. We have 5 boys and 1 princess smack dab in the middle of them. Having 6 kids is such a blast. However I have more will power against sugar than I do with ” the baby secret”. If you could see me – this is not saying much 🙂 I love baking…

So my hat’s off to you. Well… Apron… might be a better word.

Many Blessings,

Kim

• Amanda says:

Thank you so much Kim!! Love meeting other parents with lots of kids… I have a lot to learn yet! If you ever want to drop by and share some life lessons with me I am all ears!!

• Natasha Rodricks-Naidu says:

Hi Amanda, How lovely to know that you’re expecting. At seven weeks, I’ve barely begun the nine month roller coaster. Gender determination is banned in India because of rampant female foetecide-a very, very unfortunate practice. For me, the ban is a good thing because I don’t even have the option of possibly knowing.
    I’ll keep you in my prayers and pray for a safe and normal delivery.

• Amanda says:

Congratulations! May your pregnancy be smooth and blessed!

• DANIELA CIRILLO says: