Sweet rolls are a favorite breakfast around here, and I love trying new varieties. These Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls have the blueberry flavor I absolutely love, with a little bit of zest from the lemon. They will be your new breakfast or brunch favorite! Try my Blueberry Lemon Skillet Rolls for something a little different, but with the same flavor.
Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
Yes, I have dabbled in a variety of sweet roll recipes, like my Quick Cinnamon Rolls, Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls, and Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, so why stop there? It’s fairly obvious, looking through my recipes, that the combination of blueberries and lemon is used for a variety of my treats and desserts, so I decided to include the combination in my Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls.
Lemon Blueberry Sweet Roll Ingredients
There are three primary sections to this Lemon Blueberry Sweet Roll recipe. The dough, the filling, and the glaze. Start by preparing your ingredients:
- Granulated Sugar
- Active Dry Yeast
- Eggs–Out of eggs? No problem! Try one of my Egg Substitutes for this recipe!
- Lemon Juice
- Blueberry Pie Filling
The Cream Cheese Glaze
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioner’s Sugar
Sweet Roll Dough
The base for this Lemon Blueberry Sweet Roll dough is the same as our orange rolls recipe. It is one of the easiest doughs to work in part due to the ingredients and in part due to the process. To make this dough whisk together the milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the yeast. Let that sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. The mixture will get a little foamy. Add in eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Next, move to your stand mixer. Make sure it is fitted with a dough hook. In the bowl, combine the remaining sugar, flour, and salt. Add the milk mixture and turn the mixer on low. Slowly add pats of butter, blending well between additions. Once everything is combined, turn the mixer to medium for 1 minute and then switch to medium-high to knead until the dough is soft (about 5 minutes).
Rise and Prepare the Dough
Transfer the dough to a medium-sized buttered dish. Brush the top of the dough with melted butter and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm area until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Give the dough a good punch and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out a 10×15 rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick.
How to Make Sweet Rolls
Once your dough is rolled out the rest is easy peasy!
- Stir together the sugar and lemon zest.
- Then, add the butter and lemon juice, mixing with a hand mixer until it is thick and creamy. Spread that on top of your dough.
- Top the lemon filling with the blueberry pie filling.
- Tightly roll the dough into a log using the bottom long edge as a starting point. Warning: This could get messy! Just keep stretching and pulling to try to keep the filling inside.
- Using a very sharp knife or dental floss (I will explain that later), cut the rolls into 8 equal pieces.
- Place each roll into a greased 9×13 pan. Put the pan in a warm, dry place and let them rise again (about 1 hour) and then pop them in the 350°F oven for 35-40 minutes.
You are going for a golden-brown crust.
Cream Cheese Glaze
The glaze in this recipe is so simple, yet so important for the end result. To prepare, grab a small bowl and beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. Next, add the confectioner’s sugar and milk until smooth. Add more milk if you want the glaze to be thinner or more confectioners sugar to thicken. Drizzle the glaze over the warm Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls and let them sit for about 10 minutes. I know, the waiting for 10 minutes is probably the hardest part of this entire recipe! Enjoy!
How to Slice Sweet Rolls with Dental Floss
After rolling all the goodness up into sweet rolls, sometimes it’s hard to slice them into individual-sized rolls without smooshing them. If the knife you are using is not sharp enough, that can lead to the squishing of the rolls before they are baked. A great method to save you from frustration is dental floss! Yep, dental floss.
To use dental floss, first, make sure it is plain (not flavored) floss. Slide a long piece of floss underneath the rolled-up rolls and wrap the floss around the roll about 2 inches in. Pull to slice through the roll. Continue this method every two inches or so. Now, don’t forget to go floss your teeth, but use a new piece of floss!
Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- ⅔ cup (245g) whole milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1¾ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2¾ cups (344 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (113g) (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, room temperature,
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Blueberry Lemon Filling
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup (61g) fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups (595g) blueberry pie filling
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (125g) confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over milk and whisk to blend. Let sit until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Combine remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, flour, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the milk mixture. With the mixer running, add butter, 1 piece at a time, blending well between additions.
- Mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Knead on medium-high speed until the dough is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Brush a medium bowl with some melted butter; place the dough in the bowl. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining melted butter; cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When you are ready, punch the dough, turn out onto a floured surface, and roll into a 10x15 rectangle (it should be about 1/4 inch thick).
Blueberry Lemon Filling
- Stir together sugar and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add butter and lemon juice; beat together with a hand mixer until it is thick and creamy. The blueberry pie filling will be layered on top of the lemon filling.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with baking spray.
- Spread the dough evenly with the lemon filling. Top with Blueberry filling. Roll the dough up tightly, starting from the top long end (it will be messy!). Stretch and pull the dough taut as you roll, in an attempt to keep the filling inside. Cut the long dough roll into 8 even rolls and place each in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the rolls with a towel and let them rise for 1 hour or until puffy and doubled. Heat oven to 350°F. Place rolls in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar and milk; blend until smooth and creamy.
- Glaze the rolls: When the rolls are done, drizzle them with the cream cheese glaze. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Are you Craving More Lemon Desserts?
When life gives you lemons, I definitely have some desserts you can try!