Making Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls has never been easier or more delicious! What better way to wake everyone up on a cool, fall morning than to the smell of fresh Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls! For another delicious and comforting breakfast, try my Spiced Apple Pancakes!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
I stood in front of my refrigerator for what seemed like hours, staring at the same left-over containers and condiments almost willing there to be something new and exciting.
I had pizza dough but no pepperoni. I had taco meat but no shells. I had plenty of ketchup (I just canned a bunch of homemade stuff) but nothing to put it on. I think you get the idea… But, there was a package of cream cheese in there… maybe I could make a semi-homemade version of cinnamon rolls with that pizza dough? Except I just used the last of the cinnamon this morning on toast. Sad trombone.
Out of the corner of my eye, I just happened to see some Pumpkin Pie Spice on the counter. I am not in full-blown FALL mode yet, although everybody else is! But at that moment, the idea of Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls for dinner sounded nothing short of amazing.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
I am ALWAYS craving cinnamon rolls, but too lazy to make up a batch and wait for hours or heaven forbid, overnight. I had just read my friend Kelly’s blog about her pizza dough cinnamon rolls, so I knew it could be done. I set to make it happen! The first batch was delicious and consumed fully within one-hour! Pleasedonttellanyone, but I made three more batches just to make sure the recipe was perfect. It was perfect every time!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Ingredients
- Pizza dough–This recipe uses a can of store-bought pizza dough (they call them pizza crust). If you want you can make the pizza dough from scratch, which I have explained below.
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice–If you make a homemade pumpkin pie spice, be sure to half the recipe when you start. Homemade spices are generally more powerful than store-bought.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Cream cheese
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Extract
Quick Homemade Dough
Just in case you don’t have any store-bought dough on hand, here is a quick recipe. It takes about 15 minutes and you are ready to assemble!
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110°F/45°C)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt, and oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick. Continue on with instructions in the recipe below.
How to Make Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Like I said in the beginning, Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls are delicious and easy! First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Next, unroll pizza dough and spread butter evenly across. This works best if butter is room temperature or even slightly melted. Then, spread the brown sugar and Pumpkin Pie Spice over the butter. It’s going to seem like a LOT of the brown sugar mixture, which is exactly what I like! You can half it if you prefer a more dainty roll.
Roll, Roll, Roll the Dough
Once you have covered it with the brown sugar mixture, roll it up. You can see I got a little sloppy with my rolling, don’t be like me. Whenever this happens to me (and it happens EVERY time I make rolls) I just set the wonky roll on its wonky end in the pie dish. No one ever knows. 🙂 Cut the roll into six even pieces to be baked for 25-35 minutes.
See? Everything looks even and happy. If you want you can also make sure all the ends are tucked in. The rolls will be nice and brown when done.
How to Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Ok, let’s talk frosting. I have seen this “Copycat Cinnabon Recipe” everywhere and they all say the exact same thing. Mix ingredients and spread over rolls. Um, no.
If you are a Cinnabon expert like me, you know that their frosting is LIGHT and FLUFFY. So that is exactly what I have created for you!! And my family. And me. Because I am nothing short of obsessed with these rolls. Look at those rolls and the whipped frosting slowly melting its way over the rolls. That is exactly how it should look. And yes, the frosting will eventually melt entirely over the rolls.
Mixing the Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
While the rolls are baking, mix together all the cream cheese frosting ingredients. After whipping it in the stand mixer (you may note that I use the paddle and not the whisk–I am not a fan of using the whisk for cream cheese-based recipes.) for at least 4 minutes you will see a very light frosting. JUST LIKE Cinnabon! So please, do not skip this step. Also, be sure to check out the Pure Pumpkin Pie Spice Extract that I have added to the frosting. Not only is the cinnamon roll full of fabulous fall spices and sweetness, but the frosting has been elevated to a level of flavor excellence.
The Icing on the Cake…Oops, I mean Rolls!
I think there is nothing better than a hot cinnamon roll with ooey gooey brown sugar filling and a pumpkin pie flavored cream cheese frosting flowing into every nook and cranny. It’s a mouthful. Literally. 😉
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls?
Yes! In fact, you can choose when to freeze your Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls. You can prepare the rolls before baking by covering them in plastic wrap and tin foil. A second option would be to bake the rolls and freeze them before adding the whipped cream cheese frosting. If you baked and frosted the Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and you have leftovers (which I doubt you will have), simply wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Any way you roll it, these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls will be a winner!
Note: It took 45 minutes from beginning to end to make this recipe. It takes just a few minutes to assemble, about 30 minutes to bake, and then a couple of minutes to cool. A hot, fresh, tastes-like-homemade cinnamon roll is 45 minutes TOTAL. If you happen to love cinnamon rolls as much as I do, this is kinda the best news ever.
Looking for More Pumpkin Spice Recipes?
It’s Pumpkin Spice season in our neck of the woods, so here are some fall favorites!
Making Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls has never been easier nor more delicious!
- 1 (13.8 ounce) can store-bought pizza dough
- 3 tbsp. butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup (67g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. McCormick® Pure Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (57g) butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups (188g) confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. McCormick® Pure Pumpkin Pie Extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Heat oven to 350°F (or 325 degrees in a convection) and prepare an 8 or 9inch round pie dish with bakers spray, goop, or parchment.
- Open and unroll pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. It should measure about 12inches by 6inches.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and Pumpkin Pie Spice with a fork.
- Rub 3 tablespoons butter over dough so that it covers the entire surface.
- Spread brown sugar and spice mixture over dough making sure it covers the entire surface.
- Starting at the edge that is 6inches long, roll up the dough.
- Cut into 6 even pieces.
- Place in pie dish on its side so that layers of the roll is visible.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. Rolls should be dark brown but not burnt.
- While rolls are baking put cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie extract, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Mix on low to just combine. Once ingredients are all incorporated turn mixer on high and leave it for 4-5 minutes. Frosting should be light and fluffy.
- When rolls are done baking allow them to cool for up to five minutes.
- Place cream cheese frosting on rolls right in the pan OR invert rolls onto serving plate and then top with frosting.
I was inspired to make this recipe based of off the Pure Pumpkin Pie Spice made by McCormick. McCormick has graciously partnered with me to share this recipe with you. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.