Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches are sugar cookies with a splash of lemon flavoring and coloring sandwiching a creamy vanilla buttercream in between. If you love sandwich cookies, be sure to try my Chocolate Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies!
Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
Did I ever tell you the whole reason that this blog started was because of my love for sugar cookies? (That is seriously the BEST sugar cookie recipe. Ever.) Anytime anyone said anything about cookies my mind would wander to the light and sugary deliciousness that is a soft sugar cookie. As I grew and changed and tried new things and lots of new recipes, I have never lost my love for the simple yet perfect creation that is a sugar cookie. To make a sugar cookie sandwich with TWO sugar cookies made total sense to me! Plus, adding a little lemon to the mix added a refreshing touch to the original recipe.
Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches Recipe
There are two main parts to make these lemon sugar cookie sandwiches–the lemon sugar cookies and vanilla buttercream. In addition to trying to make these cookies have a wonderfully citrusy lemon flavor, I added food coloring and tried to shape them into lemons. Uh, rustic lemons.
Sugar Cookies Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Lemon extract
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Whole milk
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
It starts with the perfect lemon sugar cookie for this recipe. To get started, get out your stand mixer. You won’t need to preheat the oven quite yet–the dough will have to chill for about an hour before you bake the cookies.
- First, cream together the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until it is well combined.
- Next, add in the 2 whole eggs and 2 more egg yolks to the mixture.
- Then, add the lemon extract and yellow food coloring. Feel free to use more food coloring than I did–make them as bright as you need them to be! (This is also where you could add the zest of one lemon. I did not add this for my batch.)
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add about a cup of the flour mixture at a time to the butter mixture. You can combine everything with the stand mixer, or attempt to mix it all by hand. It’s your choice!
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before rolling it out, cutting, and baking.
Then, it’s all about the buttercream filling. It’s actually the buttercream recipe I used for my original Neapolitan Rose Cake! Once everything is made, assemble the Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches and enjoy!
Looking for More Lemon Recipes?
Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Lemon Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups (339g) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 drops yellow gel food coloring
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, optional
- 4 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 32 ounces (about 7 1/2 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks and mix until combined.
- Add in lemon extract and yellow food coloring; mix until combined. You may add more food coloring to achieve the desired color.
- If you want to use fresh lemon zest, add it now. (I did not add any with these cookies.)
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mixture (about a cup at a time) to the butter mixture and combine. You can use a mixer or not, it just depends on how strong you are.
- Put the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When you are ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough out, cut out cookies, and bake for 6-8 minutes. Let the cookies cool before assembling the sandwich cookies.
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in confectioners sugar, milk, and salt, frequently scraping sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Once incorporated, whip frosting for at least 3 minutes on medium-high to high (about 7 minutes).
- If frosting is too thick, gradually beat in additional milk.
ASSEMBLING THE COOKIES
- Allow cookies to cool completely before assembly.
- Use a small cookie scoop (or a tablespoon) to place the buttercream on the bottom side of one cookie.
- Place a second cookie on top of the frosting, pressing down lightly. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I wish you offered an email option for recipes. 🙂
New to your website…your recipes look great. Got to go shopping. Chris
Before I make these for my daughter,I need to know if they need to be refrigerated.Or is it ok yo send in mail? She loves lemon and these will be devine.
Never made a stuffed cookie only frosted. Can’t wait. Yummy
Love love you all thank you for sharing I love to bake even though my back had surgery on it twice fusion and 8 screws and my leg broke in three place I love you guys I made a rum cake fir my momma to have Christmas but this year she died a week after her birthday 🎂 she’s in heaven this season and I miss her so much thank you for being a bright light 💡