Patriotic Rose Cake {Video Tutorial}

filed under: Rose + Rosette Cakes on May 23, 2012

Did you know that the Rose is the National Flower?

“The rose was designated the official flower and floral emblem of the United States of America in 1986”

Patriotic Rose Cake (the Original!)

People have been asking for over a year now for a video tutorial for the Rose Cake.  After posting the Neapolitan Rose Cake a week ago and getting a few more requests, I finally did it!

While I will probably still refer folks to my original tutorial, this little video shows you a couple fun things:

1. How to make it with different colors. (So this will apply to the Neapolitan Cake as well as any Ombre effect you might desire)

2. Just how quick and easy it is.

This video is mostly in real time.  You really truly can frost a cake like this in less than 10 minutes.  And if you are making all one color it is even quicker.

As you can tell, I made this cake in honor of patriotism… Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Flag Day, an Inauguration, basically any occasion that red white and blue is appropriate!

Patriotic Rose Cake (the Original!)

How I prepare to frost a Rose Cake:

I get all my frosting’s ready and place in plastic disposable pastry bags.

I then prepare a bag with a 1M tip in it for every color I am using. Here I used three colors, so I had three bags ready.  You can go through a lot of frosting making those roses, and its good to have an extra bag ready to switch out.

Also, I really didn’t do a crumb coat. I have done it with and without a crumb coat and find they both work. The reason I can get away with not doing a crumb coat is because I tend to squish my roses together to avoid any dead space.

When making the bottom layer of blue roses around the cake, I tried to stop applying pressure at the top of my rose, where the next layer would be covering.  Then simply go right over that edge on your next row.  Overlapping is a very good thing with this cake!

As you can see in the video, I went fast and didn’t worry about perfection with each individual rosette.

If you didn’t like how one of your roses looked, simply wipe it off the cake and re-pipe it.  Easy peasy! ๐Ÿ™‚

There is no editing (other than exposure/color) done to the pictures I have posted.  (The pictures were actually taken with my phone.) It’s the same cake in the pictures and video.

The ending cake is still pretty good, even though you saw many errors throughout the video.  That is just a testimony to how forgiving the Rose Technique is!

A few have asked, so here is a link to the gel food coloring I use to achieve such deep colors!

Comments

• Natalie Lawrence says:

Hi Amanda! Nice to meet you. I found your blog through Pinterest. Thank you for Pinterest, it has reawaken my love for cooking, and DIY projects. I wanted to let you know that I will be doing this cake today (hopefully)!! Those are beautiful colors for that cake. I twisted my ankle a couple of weeks ago while running down from a hike. I love in Portland, OR so when the sun shines here we go out and take full advantage of it. So, I’m home, & I want to bake today. Hopefully my ankle won’t be whining, and I’ll be able to enjoy the process. Thank you for your inspiration!

• Becky K says:

Thanks for posting this. I hadn’t thought of doing the rose cake like this! I hope mine turns out just as nice. My blue layer is baking right now an the red and white are already finished! Can’t wait to decorate it tomorrow!

BTW…I so wish they would have taught this in my Wilton courses. I could have shown off my mad skills since this was the first cake I did before I actually started taking the courses!

• esters hรถrna / esters corner says:

I just have to say that I LOVE your blog (each part of it). I think you are doing a great job with it and I hope that my own blog will be as great as yours someday. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a lovely day! /ester

• Fine Chocolate Reviews says:

Awesome! Is it equally delicious as it looks?

• Amanda says:

Its white cake so if you like white cake than you are good to go! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Pru @ Perfecting Pru says:

Hi Amanda, where can I find the recipe for the sponges? I’m desperate to make the cake for the jubilee but I can’t find the link for the sponge!

Please help me!

Pru

• Amanda says:

Hey girl! I just made a white cake then tinted the layers with food coloring. You can go to my landing page and search “white cake” in the search box to see all my recipes, or you can just google “white cake” and find a recipe that would work for you. I hope you have a Fabulous Jubilee!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Pru @ Perfecting Pru says:

Thank you for such a quick reply! Have a great weekend!

• Chibi barb says:

I can’t remember or not but have you tried your rose technique on cup cakes? I tried to look back on your blog to see. My friends want to throw me a baby shower and asked what kind of cake I wanted and I just keep spamming them (lol nearly daily) with links to your rose cakes. I am not even a fan of roses typically but I love your cakes! Anyways I would love to see how they look on cupcakes.

• Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says:

I just love how impressive yet easy this frosting technique is!!! What a fun way to celebrate any patriotic holiday!!!!

• Courtney says:

Another absolutely beautiful cake! I love the video too!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait to try making my first rose cake.

• Kristina Vanni says:

This is gorgeous! You always do such a lovely job with such festive recipes! Thanks for sharing!

• Gardencat says:

Thank you for the video and the idea! I made a golden Gluten Free birthday cake this weekend. Wow!

It was amazing and I thank you so much for the idea, the technique and for sharing! I’ll do it again.

• Amanda says:

Great job!!

• Sara says:

Thank you so much for the video tutorial! I have been eyeing your rose cakes for a while, and tried the rose on cupcakes, but didn’t have the guts to try it on a full cake until I saw your vid. I made a chocolate cake with cream cheese icing (which totally works, just up the confectioners sugar a little bit to help it crust and make sure the cake is COLD when icing it) this weekend for a surprise birthday party and it was a hit!! I’ve had to send a link to this page to all of my girlfriends!
    Thanks for being an inspiration! You rock my socks.

• Amanda says:

Way to go Sara!!

• HeatherChristo says:

This is just so spectacular Amanda. Amazing how the color can change things up like this! I think I am finally prepared to try your rose frosting advice. I am baking a bunch of cakes for our church auction today and decorating tomorrow. I will send you pictures if they are not too embarrassing!

• Shasha says:

Hi There,
    I have been following your blog for a while, because your cakes are so inspiring and GREAT, I have been too embarrassed to ask this simply question, but I wanted to know: How do you get your buttercream frosting to come out so firm? I tried using one of the recipes you provided on your blog, however when it came time to piping , it was to soft and started to melt. Then I put it in the refrigerator for a while and it was still to soft to pipe. I JUST NEED HELP PLEASE! Yours seems to come up perfect.

Thank you for your time and for sharing your amazing cakes with us.
    Shasha

• Amanda says:

Hi Shasha! I use buttercream with a little crisco in it. Also, make sure you adjust the amount of liquid used to your climate/area. If you find your frosting is to soft, you can add some more sugar. (if you are using a traditional buttercream recipe) Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shasha says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I will try that out, I hope it works ๐Ÿ™‚ , thank you again!

• Tanja Schuurman Robinson says:

I gave it a go today, I made an ombre yellow rose cake, and it turned out really nice…very minimum effort for maximum impact! I also used your technique with the cartridges of different colored frostings and the one bigger bag with the tip – amazingly easy & so smart, thank you for teaching me that!! I’ll so use that again & again!! I’m going to post a picture of my effort on your Facebook page.

• Michelle says:

One Handed!!! You are awesome!! Love the video, I gotta make those bad boys soon ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary Coul Bryant says:

I’m not sure if this link will work, but I made these Memorial Day cupcakes that will most definitely be making a comeback for The Fourth of July! Super easy, just divide your white cake batter into thirds, color one red and one blue and spoon the layers into your cupcake liners! I did tie-dye icing to make them even better! I wanted to thank you for the inspiration to start baking! I am making my first anniversary rose cake for a friends GrandParents next week! https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/552842_10151020968617625_221765322_n.jpg

• Anna says:

Hello! The cakes look so elegant!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial and the tips. I have a question though…I have a number 20 tip. Its an open star tip, but much smaller than the 1m (or 2110)

Can I still due to the roses with the smaller tip??

Im assuming since the size is smaller, I shouldnt even attempt to make big roses…so I guess id need to make smaller roses??

Or should I go get the 1m tip?

I would appreciate any suggestions or help from anyone who has attempted this….

THANK YOU!!!

• Amanda says:

You can really use any tip you prefer! I would try one with the tip you have… I bet you will love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sergio says:

Do you have a recipe of the frosting posted anywhere? I always try to make my own but it always turns out flat and runny. It won’t hold into the shape. It just drips down the cake. Could you give me the recipe for yours if you don’t have it posted anywhere?

• Sarah Bearclaw says:

Wow! What a great idea for 4th of July. Thanks so much for posting a video, too–so helpful!

• Patricia Calef says:

Love the colors. They were very difficult to find however. I am on backorder from Ateco and hope they get here in time for the 4th of July. What a great looking cake. And easy!

• Patricia Calef says:

I was looking at my baking pantry and realized I have a Star cake pan that I have never used. I’m going to try this cake with the star pan using small roses. Hope it works out. I just think it would be a cool look.

• Priscilla says:

soo beautiful im trying this for the fourth of july this year.

• Amber says:

What piping tip are you using?

• D Hanks says:

What type of icing do you use?

• Nktgordon says:

Such a awesome cake! I plan on making this for tomorrow. Wondering about how many cups of icing u tinted of each color.