Patriotic Rose Cake {Video Tutorial}

filed under: Rose + Rosette Cakes on May 23, 2012

Did you know that the Rose is the National Flower?

“The rose was designated the official flower and floral emblem of the United States of America in 1986”

Patriotic Rose Cake (the Original!)

People have been asking for over a year now for a video tutorial for the Rose Cake.  After posting the Neapolitan Rose Cake a week ago and getting a few more requests, I finally did it!

While I will probably still refer folks to my original tutorial, this little video shows you a couple fun things:

1. How to make it with different colors. (So this will apply to the Neapolitan Cake as well as any Ombre effect you might desire)

2. Just how quick and easy it is.

This video is mostly in real time.  You really truly can frost a cake like this in less than 10 minutes.  And if you are making all one color it is even quicker.

As you can tell, I made this cake in honor of patriotism… Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Flag Day, an Inauguration, basically any occasion that red white and blue is appropriate!

Patriotic Rose Cake (the Original!)

How I prepare to frost a Rose Cake:

I get all my frosting’s ready and place in plastic disposable pastry bags.

I then prepare a bag with a 1M tip in it for every color I am using. Here I used three colors, so I had three bags ready.  You can go through a lot of frosting making those roses, and its good to have an extra bag ready to switch out.

Also, I really didn’t do a crumb coat. I have done it with and without a crumb coat and find they both work. The reason I can get away with not doing a crumb coat is because I tend to squish my roses together to avoid any dead space.

When making the bottom layer of blue roses around the cake, I tried to stop applying pressure at the top of my rose, where the next layer would be covering.  Then simply go right over that edge on your next row.  Overlapping is a very good thing with this cake!

As you can see in the video, I went fast and didn’t worry about perfection with each individual rosette.

If you didn’t like how one of your roses looked, simply wipe it off the cake and re-pipe it.  Easy peasy! 🙂

There is no editing (other than exposure/color) done to the pictures I have posted.  (The pictures were actually taken with my phone.) It’s the same cake in the pictures and video.

The ending cake is still pretty good, even though you saw many errors throughout the video.  That is just a testimony to how forgiving the Rose Technique is!

A few have asked, so here is a link to the gel food coloring I use to achieve such deep colors!

Comments

• Indira Barroso says:

GRACIAS QUE HERMOSO TRABAJO MIL GRACIAS ESTE VIDEO ME AYUDO MUCHISIMO SALUDOS DESDE VENEZUELA!

• Elisabeth says:

I love the outlook of this cake. I have to made a birthday cake for a friend of mine and I will try to make it in brown, white and pink. Wish me luck!! Thanks your tutorials, they are sooo clear it all looks easy!! Kisses from Spain!!

• Michael says:

Awesome! I really enjoyed the video! You make it look so easy!

• Alisha says:

I was curious what you use to color your frosting? I have been using the gel colors that you can find at Walmart or Michael’s and I can never get a true color. Mainly the blue and red are my issues. I just can’t seem to get the deep colors. I’m afraid if I put to much color it will change the flavor of the frosting. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Amanda says:

I use Americolor or Ateco food coloring. Its the best!

• Kimmie says:

I love rose cakes. They are simply beautiful! I am wondering how you made your red frosting? I have tried the no taste red and red-red dyes and still my frosting is pink. Help please!!

• Amanda says:

Thanks! When I made the first Original Rose Cake in 2011 I had no idea people would love it so much! I use Ateco or Americolor food coloring for my deep red. 🙂

• DaleAnn Taylor says:

Just plain ole awesomeness lady!

• Colette @ JFF! says:

Thanks for the video. Love this gorgeous cake!

• Talisa says:

This is an awesome video and you make it look extremely easy! I will definitely be trying this in the near future…can’t promise it will come out looking quite as good as that though lol! 🙂

• Paula says:

Beautiful! Is there a reason you use 2 disposable decorating bags? (one cut with icing, and one with the tip?). I have never seen this technique. Just curious…. ; )

• Amanda says:

I use so much frosting on the rose cake that it makes for quick and easy change-out!

• Donna says:

How much icing did you use to do the rose cake (without crumb coat)? Looks so pretty, want to try this weekend for dinner with friends

• Geeana says:

it looks good and delicious… but it looks like the national flag of Netherlands hehe.. but I love all your cakes.. i’m a new fan of yours 😉

• TJ Gomez says:

I am not a baker by any means, but I saw this and am now inspired to do this for my mom on mothers day. Keep doing what you do, its people like you who inspire others to get up and do something creative and fun!! Keep posting things like this!!

• Geisa says:

O bolo é fabuloso, sou brasileira e é a primeira vez que vejo esse bolo e você permitir erei publica-lo no meu facebook e tenho certeza que será uma grande novidade. Obrigada!!!

• barb hickey says:

Love Love Love your cakes. I have made your rose cake, thanks for the great ideas and instructions, you make me look like I know what I am doing 🙂
    I would do this cake for Memorial Day or 4th of July, but I just don’t care for all the food coloring.