Homemade Pumpkin Spice is a must for the Fall and Winter months. Everywhere you go, it is pumpkin spice this, pumpkin spice that. Well, now you can make your own to add to any recipe you want!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice
Fall is my favorite time of year around here. The leaves are changing to beautiful colors, the temperatures are getting cooler, and it is the season of pumpkin spice! Ever since that coffee shop starting serving its Pumpkin Spice Latte, the Pumpkin Spice Bandwagon has been on a roll! As soon as one person posts about drinking a pumpkin spiced drink of some sort, Fall has officially begun. I am not complaining. I appreciate a pumpkin spiced beer once in a while!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Recipe
If you look up a recipe for pumpkin spice, I can almost guarantee that you will see allspice as an ingredient. You will notice in my Homemade Pumpkin Spice recipe that I did NOT use allspice in my ingredients. Allspice tastes just like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Three of my four ingredients for Homemade Pumpkin Spice are…wait for it…cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Imagine that! So really, adding allspice is a bit redundant. Just try it, and let me know that you agree with me😉.
- Cinnamon: I like cinnamon, and I used quite a bit in this recipe. Plus, cinnamon has plenty of awesome health benefits! Most cinnamon is the Cassia variety, which you do need to watch how much you are consuming. If available, choose the Ceylon variety.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is often used in pumpkin spiced food, so it makes sense to be included here.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Spice
Using the four ingredients, and trying really hard not to add a touch of allspice, measure each one and mix them all together in a bowl. Store your Homemade Pumpkin Spice in a sealed container, glass being best, and have it handy for all those pumpkin spice recipes!
Looking for More Recipes to Use Pumpkin Spice?
Now that you have your Homemade Pumpkin Spice on hand, it’s time to use it in a recipe!
Have your own Pumpkin Spice on hand to use for all your fall and holiday recipes!
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Measure ingredients into a bowl. Whisk together well and then store in an airtight container for easy use.