Making Red Velvet Graham Crackers is a fun and colorful experience! Use them in cheesecakes, smores, or just grab one as a snack! For another fun graham cracker treat, try my Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Cookies.
Red Velvet Graham Crackers
There is something special about a red velvet cake or any red velvet recipe. It’s not just adding red food coloring to a cake that gives it the red velvet name. It’s the added buttermilk and touch of cocoa to a recipe to give it a distinct flavor and texture. Adding red food coloring just gives it more of that intense color. Did you ever think you would make your own graham crackers, let alone red velvet graham crackers?!? Well, I encourage you to make these lovely crackers, and you can then use them in my New York Cheesecake with Red Velvet Crust. Bonus, I know!
Red Velvet Graham Crackers Recipe
As I could smell the sweet aroma of fresh, homemade red velvet graham crackers in my oven, I could feel my anticipation level rise. I just knew these were going to be good.
Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Red gel food coloring
How to Make Red Velvet Graham Crackers
To make Red Velvet Graham Crackers, get out your mixer and the ingredients to get started.
- In the bowl of the mixer, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt and mix on low until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Next, add the butter cubes, one at a time, increasing the speed a bit to make a coarse texture.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-2 cup measuring cup, pour in the honey. Add the buttermilk, food coloring, and vanilla and mix it all together.
- Then, add the honey mixture to the flour mixture and mix on medium speed.
- On a well-floured work surface, roll out the dough. Be as consistent as possible with the thickness of the dough (about 1/8-1/4-inch thick).
- Cut out your graham cracker rectangles with a cookie-cutter, or by hand. And really, who is to say you can’t make other shapes out of graham crackers? You can even make holes in the tops of some of the crackers to appear more graham-cracker-ish.
- Finally, bake them for 6-8 minutes, making sure you check them after six minutes so all your hard work doesn’t burn!
A few tips/suggestions:
- I found that these cookies most tasted like a graham cracker on the second day, or after they had hardened slightly. I also placed the cooked and cooled crackers in the oven at 170°F for 30-40 minutes to dry them out more, and this worked well.
- Remember to keep a close eye on them in the oven. These crackers can burn easily! (I would know…I burned my first batch.)
- We thought these would make amazing s’ mores. Although I tried some funky variations (fruit and purees and different chocolates) that original recipe seemed to work best–red Velvet graham cracker, marshmallow, and chocolate. Delish.
Even though technically, this is the new never seen before in the history of the world recipe, its the way that I am using it that will blow your mind! Ok, it may not blow your mind, but it blew my mind. I am easily impressed though. 😉
Looking for More Red Velvet Recipes?
Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Red Velvet Mousse with Raspberry Vanilla Cupcakes
Red Velvet Graham Crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon red gel food coloring, adding more or less per taste
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- In the bowl of a mixer, add brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Mix on low to incorporate.
- Add in the butter cubes, slowly increasing speed to fully incorporate the butter and reach a coarse consistency.
- Measure out 1/3 cup honey in a 1-2 cup measuring cup. Add the buttermilk, food coloring, and vanilla to the honey and mix together.
- Add the honey mixture to the flour mixture and combine on medium speed until the dough comes together.
- Pour dough onto a well-floured surface and roll out. Try to make dough 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, being as consistent as you can. You can use a square cookie cutter or cut out rectangles, whatever you prefer.
- I used the top of a #3 tip to make little holes in the top of some cookies.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 6-8 minutes. (Keep an eye on them! I burned my first batch at seven minutes.)
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Homemade graham crackers are very exciting! The red velvet coloring is a very nice touch. Can’t wait to try these! : )
The recipe is not visible either via the email link or on your website. How do I get it?
The recipe and ingredients aren’t showing. Help?
Hi, Tamora! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. Red Velvet Graham Crackers should be available now. Have a great day!