This Roasted Broccoli Cheese Soup is a family favorite! (and my kid’s favorite way to eat their veggies!)
No need to go to a fancy restaurant... this is the best broccoli cheese soup you will ever have!
- 2 (roughly 16 ounces) large florets of fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup (113g) salted butter
- 1 (about 1 cup) large onion finely diced
- 7 cups (56 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 lb muenster cheese shredded
- 1 lb cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups (480 grams, 16 ounces) half and half
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- EVOO for drizzling over broccoli as it roasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- On a large cookie sheet place broccoli florets. Cover in 2-4 tablespoons of good Extra Virgin Olive Oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. (can bake for additional 5 minutes for extra crispy broccoli) When done and cooled slightly, finely chop broccoli and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Finely dice an onion and add to melted butter. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat in large pot and add in all of the cheddar cheese and most of the muenster. Only save enough muenster to garnish. Add in half and half and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Add cornstarch mixture to broth mixture and combine. Add in roasted broccoli and continue to cook over low heat until soup is thick and creamy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
One of my favorite soups in the whole wide world is broccoli and cheese, and one of my favorite cheeses is muenster. And my very favorite way to eat broccoli is roasted.
And I kid you not, I think I have come up with the most amazing soup in the world. I am not even going to google “roasted broccoli cheese soup” because I just don’t want to know if everyone and their grandma thought it up before me.
I just want this moment to pretend its all mine. 😂
I just love how that fresh roasted broccoli gives the soup an amazing extra layer of flavor and texture! But there is something so magical about roasting it in the oven with EVOO and salt & pepper. It almost caramelizes a bit, with crispy edges yet a perfectly done center.
Variations for Broccoli Cheese Soup
You can use fresh garlic in place of the spice. Just use about 2 cloves and finely mince. Add to the pot when you add the onions.
Don’t want to add cornstarch? Try using an immersion blender! Simply omit the cornstarch and water and use the blender after you have added the half & half and garlic powder.
Don’t have 87 kids like me? Just put leftovers in the freezer in Ziploc containers. When you are ready to eat just pop the container into the microwave!
Want a REALLY fun twist? try adding white wine (about 1/3 cup) to the pot while sauteeing the onions. This is a really sophisticated flavor!
I hope to see you try this. It’s pretty much the most amazing comfort food ever.
Try my other favorite soups: