These Rocky Road Brownies are going to take your brownie game to a whole new level. Deliciously moist and fudgy brownies topped with an ooey-gooey mixture of marshmallows, chocolate, and cashews. You won’t want regular brownies again! If you are like me and you LOVE brownies, make sure to check out my brownie mix (which this Rocky Road Brownie is based on) which is perfect for gift-giving and my favorite all-time best brownies, which is perfect for keeping all to yourself!
Rocky Road Brownies
Traditional Rocky Road ice cream is one of my favorites. I love to pair it with a fresh from the oven brownie, so this combination just makes perfect sense! Rocky Road ice cream was invented during the great depression when the most common flavors were vanilla and chocolate. The folks that made it named it “rocky road” to give people something to smile about in the face of some pretty uncertain times. It’s amazing to me that ice cream of any kind could have such an impact. It probably helps that Chocolate Ice Cream with nuts and chocolate chunks and marshmallows pair pretty nicely together.
Rocky Road Brownies Recipe
To make this recipe you start with a traditional brownie base, my all time favorite brownie mix recipe is the base for this delicious rocky road brownie. You can make this up ahead of time by just mixing together the dry ingredients and putting them in an airtight container. I love to hand this out for gifts too!
How to Make Rocky Road Brownies
Brownies are not hard to make, you mix the dry stuff with the wet stuff and bake. This recipe adds a simple but amazing step at the very end that makes it so over-the-top amazing! To make Rocky Road Brownies start with the brownie base.
Rocky Road Brownie Variations
Variety is the spice of life, right? If you want to make a few adjustments to these brownies, here are a few suggestions:
- Change Cashews to Almond Slivers, or Crushed Pecans or Walnuts
- Instead of Chocolate Chips, use Dark Chocolate Chunks, or White Chocolate Chunks, or go crazy with a triple chocolate rocky road brownie and add all three.
- Go DIY and make your own marshmallows with this homemade marshmallow recipe
Rocky Road Brownies
- ½ cup (113g) butter, melted then cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup (64g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 1 cup chocolate chips, (semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat two eggs with the vanilla.
- Add in sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder and gently stir.
- Pour the melted butter into brownie mixture and mix until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Spread batter in a prepared 8-inch square pan.
- Bake 18-22 minutes. (you will bake for 5 more minutes so you don’t want the brownies completely done)
- Remove from oven and add chocolate chips, marshmallows, and cashews.
- Bake until the chocolate is shiny and marshmallows puffed (about 5 minutes)
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Looking for More Brownie Recipes?
Make sure to check out some of my favorites!