Yoder’s Amish Chocolate Pie is smooth, silky, practically melts in your mouth, and is straight from grandma’s kitchen! If you like this pie you will also love Classic Lemon Pie, Piggy Pie Dessert, and my 50 Best Cake Recipes!
Yoder’s Amish Chocolate Pie
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 10 - inch baked pie crust
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, and cocoa.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, yolks, and vanilla. Pour into the sauce pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the butter. Heat to rolling boil for 1 minute until thickened.
- Pour into the baked pie crust and smooth the top. (Or tap the pie on the counter to help settle) Let cool at room temperature for 2 hours and chill in the refrigerator for an additional 2 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
What is Yoder’s Amish Chocolate Pie?
This Amish Chocolate Pie is a classic recipe that has been handed down for generations. When I visited the gal who shared her recipe with me, she mentioned that she used real butter (as in, she made it herself), real chocolate, and of course homemade pie crust. (Here is a great recipe for the perfect pie crust that I use in my WORLD’S BEST PECAN PIE RECIPE.)
Each slice is satisfying without being overly rich. We love topping it with gobs of whipped cream and sprinkling with chocolate shavings.
How to Make Chocolate Pie
Start by baking your pie crust. If you are opting to use store-bought, it will still need to be baked prior to adding the chocolate filling.
chocolate shavings – optional
Next, you are going to get out a medium saucepan and add the sugar, flour, and cocoa powder. Simmer over low heat until ingredients are warmed through and incorporated. (about 1 minute)
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and vanilla. While whisking (you don’t want to cook the eggs!) slowly add the egg mixture to the sugar mixture. Now you can turn the heat up to medium and add in the butter.
Pour into the prepared pie crust and then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Can you Double this recipe?
Yes, you can absolutely double the filling ingredients to create a thicker chocolate pie.
Looking for other great Pies? Try these winning recipes!