Banana Pudding Dessert is a decadent dessert with layers of cream cheese, banana slices, vanilla pudding with whipped cream, and an optional peanut butter topping, all on top of a vanilla wafer crust. If you love creamy banana desserts, be sure to try my Ultimate Banana Pudding!
Banana Pudding Dessert
This Banana Pudding Dessert is the ultimate creamy banana treat that is layered with flavors, including an optional drizzle of melted peanut butter to top it all off! In addition to the homemade vanilla pudding in this recipe, you could also make homemade vanilla wafers and whipped cream if you are feeling motivated!
The Banana Pudding Dessert has been scooped into a serving cup for these images.
Banana Pudding Dessert Recipe
There are four parts (layers) to this recipe–the homemade vanilla pudding, vanilla wafer cookie crust, cream cheese layer, and the toppings. (Full recipe in the recipe card below)
How to Make Vanilla Pudding
It’s best to start with the homemade pudding first. This will need to chill for about half an hour after it’s made. While the pudding is chilling, you can work on making the other important parts to this recipe.
(Full recipe in a recipe card below) It’s really easy to make your own vanilla pudding. Pudding is a great dessert to have on hand, and most people like the smooth, creamy sweet (and sometimes even savory) treat. Plus, if you make a little extra, it’s nice to have as a snack or loaded with your favorite chocolate candy or treat.
How to Make the Crust
While the pudding is chilling, prepare the crust. Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla wafers? I have a homemade vanilla wafer recipe you might want to try for this recipe, or just to have some cookies on hand!
How to Assemble Banana Pudding Dessert
Once all the parts of this dessert have been made, it’s time to get it assembled and chilled so everyone can enjoy it!
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the chilled wafer crust.
- Top with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour the cooled pudding over the bananas.
- Cover in plastic wrap and set it in the refrigerator for another 1-2 hours. (Yes, it will be hard to wait, but SO worth it!)
- When you are ready to serve, top the dessert with more whipped cream, crushed vanilla wafers, and drizzled melted peanut butter. You could always skip the peanut butter, but it was the perfect complement to the banana dessert!
Store the dessert, covered and chilled, for a couple of days.
Banana Pudding Dessert
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups (490g) whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups vanilla wafers, finely crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (125g) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (60g) whipped cream (cool whip)
- 2 large bananas, sliced and layered between cream cheese and pudding layer
- 2 cups (120g) whipped topping, (or cool whip)
- ¼ cup vanilla wafers, crushed
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter, melted (optional)
Vanilla Pudding Layer
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk and whisk until well combined (about 30 seconds).
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened (approximately 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, one cube at a time.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until completely cool (about 30 minutes).
- While the pudding is chilling, make the crust. In a medium bowl, combine crushed vanilla wafers and melted butter. Stir together until well blended, making sure to coat each crumb.
- Pour crust into a 9×9 inch pan and press firmly to the base and slightly up the sides of the pan. Set in the refrigerator to chill.
Cream Cheese Layer
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup of the whipped topping.
Assembly (once cooled)
- Carefully pour the cream cheese mixture into the prepared crust. Spread evenly over crust.
- Top with sliced bananas.
- Pour the cooled pudding over the bananas. Set in the refrigerator (covered with plastic wrap) for another 1-2 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, top with remaining cool whip, crushed cookies, and peanut butter glaze.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.