This amazing dessert is as easy as it is delicious. I made my own Angel Food Cake, but you can certainly buy store-bought to save yourself time! This dessert is soft and creamy. It tastes like angel food cake in one bite, blueberry pie filling in the next, and lemon pudding in the next! If you love desserts with blueberry and lemon, you will definitely like this easy option. Want the best desserts for your get-together? Try my Piggy Pie Dessert, Banana Split Fluff, or Peanut Butter Oreo Dessert!
Blueberry Lemon Heaven Cake
Moving forward, any dessert that used angel food cake can call itself heaven. Can I get an amen? 😂This dessert couldn’t be easier and tastes pretty darn good. I decided to show you step-by-step how I put it together, just in case you are a visual learner like me. 🙂
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Start by cutting up your angel food cake into cubes. This can get messy as those glorious crumbs like to stick to everything, so just take your time and try to cut uniform pieces. Prepare your lemon pudding, open a can of blueberry pie filling, and open a container of cool whip. You are halfway done at this point!
- Place half the angel food cubes into a 9×13 casserole dish. No need to spray it with non-stick spray.
3. Now take half of your blueberry pie filling and drop dollops over the angel food cake cubes. Take a small offset spatula and spread out the blueberry pie filling.
4. Place the remaining angel food cake cubes on top of the blueberry filling. Try to get an even layer.
5. Spread the lemon pudding over top of the angel food cake. Spread it out as evenly as you can with a small offset spatula.
6. Now cover the pudding with the whipped topping. I did the “dollop” method again so that I could try and get an even layer as possible.
If you want to make a homemade whipped topping, feel free. However, when I am making a dessert with store-bought pudding mix and store-bought pie filling I find that the subtle beauty of a homemade whipped topping can get lost. So cool whip it is!
7. Take the remaining blueberry pie filling and make dollops on top of the whipped topping. Using your offset spatula again, spread it out as evenly as possible. Pop it into the fridge for a few hours and you are done!
Can I Make This Without Lemon Zest?
Yes! As you can see I added some fresh lemon zest to the top of the dessert. I didn’t like the sharp citrus zing that it brought to this dessert, but my husband did, so I left it as an “optional” ingredient.
How Does Blueberry Lemon Dessert Taste?
Just like you would imagine. 😂It’s soft and creamy. It tastes like angel food cake in one bite, blueberry pie filling in the next, and lemon pudding in the next! If you love desserts with blueberry and lemon, you will definitely like this easy option.
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
Sure! This is best served cold, so making it the night before would be ideal. Then, it is ready to go when guests arrive the next day! I would not make this more than a day in advance and do not recommend freezing the dessert.
Blueberry Lemon Heaven Dessert
- 1 whole angel food cake, homemade or store-bought
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1½ cups (368 g) milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (21 ounces) blueberry pie filling
- 8 ounces whipped topping, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
- Cut angel food cake into cubes. (This was by far the most time-consuming part of the entire recipe. Take your time and use a good serrated knife!)
- In a large bowl combine lemon pudding, milk, and sour cream. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Set aside.
Assemble the Dessert
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange ½ of the angel food cake cubes in a layer.
- Drop half of the blueberry pie filling over top of the angel food cake cubes.
- Cover the blueberry filling with the remaining angel food cake.
- Spoon lemon pudding over the cake and spread evenly.
- Drop the whipped topping in dollops over the pudding layer. Using an offset spatula, spread into an even layer.
- Carefully spread the remaining blueberry pie filling over the whipped topping. Garnish with lemon zest (optional).
- Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Serve cold.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Not sure I am understanding one detail
do you make the lemon pudding then add the other ingredients or is it just the box as is you add to the other ingredients?
Can I make this the night before?
Would this freeze well?
I made the Blueberry Lemon Heaven Dessert for our church Fellowship today. It was a great hit! The only thing I took home was an empty dish.
I am wondering if this receipe can be made with any other fruit filling, like cherry with vanilla pudding? I would appreciate a reply at your convenience.
I love looking at all of your receipes and wish I could make every one of them. Keep up the great work!
Yes! Here is a cherry version:
So glad you enjoyed it!
COULD I USE POUND CAKE RATHER THAN ANGEL FOOD?
Sure, that is an option!
I want to substitute cream cheese for sour cream in the Lemon/Blueberry Angel food cake dessert. How much cream cheese will I need and can I use whipped cream cheese?
Hi, Rose! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. For 1 cup of sour cream, substitute 8 ounces of cream cheese + 4 tablespoons of milk + 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. We have not tried this substitution for this recipe, so we can’t say if the taste will be the same. I hope this helps, and have a great day!
Could not get the clickable link to get directions and ingredients for the angel food cake. could you sent it to me. email@example.com
I’m not a fan of angle food cake AT ALL can I use white cake
Hi, Jeanette! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. You could use white cake but we have not tried that in this recipe. Let us know how it turns out, and have a great day!
Hi can I use lemon curd instead of pudding
Hi, Heather! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. We have not tested the recipe using lemon curd, so I can’t say how it would affect the recipe. Have a great day!
Is there anything else I can use besides sour cream or cream cheese?
You could try mascarpone, but I have not tested it.