Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip is the ultimate crowd-pleasing party dip! This creamy, cheesy, appetizer is always an amazingly flavorful winner and can be made right in your crock-pot! If you are looking for some amazing game day dips try this Cheesesteak Dip or my favorite Spinach Artichoke Dip!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Hi, everyone! Nichole from The Salty Marshmallow blog here to share one of my all-time favorite dip recipes with you today.
Buffalo wings are always a hit at any kind of party, potluck, or even just for dinner sometimes! While they are so crave-able, they aren’t always practical or simple to make.
That’s why I love buffalo chicken wings in dip form. It doesn’t get much easier than getting a few simple ingredients together, and letting your slow cooker do all the work to create a thick and cheesy dip that’s packed full of buffalo flavor!
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
For this recipe, all you need is a 2 quart or larger crockpot. You can, of course, use a 5 quart if you’d like to double this for a bigger crowd.
The ingredients are a simple and perfect combination of shredded chicken, cream and cheddar cheeses, buffalo sauce, dry ranch dressing mix, and garlic powder.
Make sure you don’t skip the garlic powder. It’s my “secret ingredient” that really makes this buffalo chicken dip stand out! You could also try adding a little diced garlic to the dip when you add the cream cheese.
I am a HUGE fan of serving this Buffalo Chicken Dip with blue cheese. Try sprinkling it with Blue Cheese crumbles or simply pouring some dressing right over the dip. Just be mindful that the dressing is cool and the dip is hot, so you will want to make sure it is being served and eaten right away.
How Do You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in a Crockpot?
- For this recipe, I like to use a rotisserie chicken when possible. It is already cooked, easy to shred and get into the slow cooker quickly. You can also use a couple of 10-ounce cans of all white meat chicken if that is your preference.
- Soften your cream cheese or cut into cubes before adding to the slow cooker. Softened cream cheese is best! If you’re short on time simply cut the cream cheese into cubes first. This will ensure that it melts smoothly into the dip. Another tip is to submerge the cream cheese into hot water when it is still in its packaging.
- Next, you will add your shredded cheese and seasonings. For shredded cheese, you can use whatever suits your preference. I find that we like sharp cheddar the best.
- After you add your shredded cheese (When I can I like the shred my own!!), dry ranch dressing mix, and garlic powder, you will add in the buffalo sauce. Depending on your taste for spice, you may like more or less sauce. I have found that ½ cup is a great place to start. Taste as you go!
Hot Sauce vs. Wing Sauce
The first time I ever tried to make Buffalo Chicken Dip I didn’t have any Wing Sauce on hand and thought it would be ok to substitute hot sauce. IT WAS NOT OK. There is a very big difference between the two so make sure your bottle says WING SAUCE on it.
Hot Sauce is made mainly of hot peppers, vinegar, and maybe some salt and seasonings. There is heat in hot sauce (also referred to as the Scoville scale). It is used in small amounts.
Wing Sauce (also called Buffalo Sauce) is usually a combination of hot sauce and lots of butter. It’s still spicy, but far less intense.
These two sauces should NOT be used interchangeably in recipes.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip is the ultimate crowd-pleasing party dip! This creamy, cheesy, appetizer is always an amazingly flavorful winner and can be made right in your crock-pot!
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese Cubed
- 1 package (1 ounce) dry ranch dressing mix
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- In a 2 quart or larger slow cooker add the cooked shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, shredded cheese, and buffalo wing sauce.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook dip on low for 1-2 hours until hot and bubbly.
- Stir well before serving.
(Optional: Spoon dip into a bowl and sprinkle with blue cheese crumble)
Serve with your favorite chips, crackers, and vegetables.