This is my simple version of Outback Steakhouse’s Alice Springs Chicken except without mushrooms. Cheesy Bacon Chicken with a seriously amazing homemade Honey Mustard sauce is a dinnertime winner! Looking for more chicken recipes? Try my Chicken Florentine, Stuffed Chicken Breast, or my easy Chicken Noodle Soup!
Alice Springs Chicken (kinda)
We love the traditional Alice Springs Chicken from Outback, but not everyone in my family loves mushrooms. This is a similar version but still packs a ton of flavor! The sauce is a crowd-pleaser… full of flavor and the perfect complement to a well-seasoned chicken breast.
I highly recommend making this dish in a cast-iron skillet or iron skillet or enamel fry pan. (both being oven safe)
Tips for this Cheesy Bacon Chicken
One thing to note in this recipe is timing. You need to marinate the chicken, so I would plan on preparing the Honey Mustard Marinade in the morning or early afternoon. If you need to you can also prepare the marinade the night before and marinate overnight.
I chose to use only Monterey Jack cheese but you can also add cheddar.
I am telling you… this copycat Alice Springs Chicken is AHmazing. I like to serve this chicken with green beans and then pour some of the sauce over the beans as well.
You can also use a store-bought Honey Mustard dressing to save time. 🙂
Adapted from Cheesy Bacon Chicken.
Cheesy Bacon Chicken
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (If using table salt, use less)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine mustard, honey, oil, and lemon juice. Using a fork or small whisk, mix for about 30 seconds or until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Place chicken breasts on a large plate or small baking dish. Pour 2/3 of the marinade over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Chill the remaining marinade until later.
- When you are ready to prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet on stove over medium-high heat and pour in oil. Cook the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. (seared- you will be baking it more)
- Turn heat off and remove skillet.
- Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the reserved honey mustard marinade, being sure to save a little extra that you can serve on the side later with the dish.
- Stack two pieces of cooked bacon on each chicken breast.
- Spread 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese into each breast.
- Bake the skillet of chicken for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and chicken juices run clear. (Internal temperature should be 165°F.)
- Put extra honey mustard marinade into a small bowl to serve on the side.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.