Chicken Salad Recipe
I absolutely love this chicken salad recipe. It is the perfect blend of sweet, savory, and crunchy. The added secret ingredient (paprika!) is what puts this chicken salad over the top!
Truth is, I actually stumbled upon this flavor combination by accident. I was in a jam and I needed to bring a dish for a party. I didn’t have extra time so I ran to the local grocery store. They had a few options that looked acceptable, one was a grape chicken combination. I thought it looked interesting (I had never seen an orange chicken salad before!) so grabbed it. Low and behold it was actually really good. Everyone at the party was asking where I got it!
I knew I had to figure out how to make it on my own. So stinking happy I did and now you can have this gourmet chicken salad too!
This is a chicken salad recipe that is best served cold. So I typically will make a big batch of shredded chicken ahead of time and chill it. Sundays are typically the day I pick so that I am ready for the rest of the week. To make the juiciest shredded chicken, just throw some salt and pepper on your chicken breasts, throw them into an oiled skillet and brown the edges (about 4 minutes on each side).
Then toss in some chicken stock and continue to cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes (or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F). I make this shredded chicken recipe in bulk so that I can use it in other recipes like Buffalo Chicken Wraps or Jalapeno Chicken Salad.
Chicken Salad Ingredients
This recipe is so easy to make. Just a few simple ingredients and about 10 minutes and it is ready to serve! To start you will need the following ingredients:
- Shredded Chicken: store-bought or homemade. I also like to use rotisserie chicken too!
- Grapes: Go for the large seedless red grapes. Make sure to do a freshness check. Color is a good indicator of freshness so look for grapes that are predominantly red in color. Also, fresh grapes will have a bright colored green stem and will be firm to the touch.
- Cashews: Go for the salted kind.
- Green Onions: Make sure to avoid green onions with yellowing tops or wilted greens. Always go for a bright green onion with a white tip.
- Mayo Mixture: (The secret ingredient…) This is the glue that holds everything together and also where you get the vibrant orange color. This combination of mayonnaise, celery salt, and paprika is what makes it so colorful and flavorful!
How to Make Chicken Salad
To prepare, in a small bowl combine the mayo mixture (mayonnaise, celery salt, and paprika) and mix well, making sure to incorporate all of the ingredients. In a second, larger bowl, add the shredded chicken, grapes, cashews, green onions, and the mayonnaise mixture. Combine everything. Serve it up as is, or add it onto a croissant or a tortilla or a bed of lettuce.
A few alterations you can make to this chicken salad recipe:
- Pecans or walnuts can be used in exchange or in addition to the cashews.
- I like to reserve a few handfuls of cashews and serve it over the top (not mixed in).
- Add a little kick to the salad by adding some crushed red pepper.
- Exchange chopped celery for nuts for a lower calorie meal (while still keeping that crunch!).
- Save on calories by using greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. This will alter the flavor slightly but it still tastes amazing!
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last?
If you keep it refrigerated, it can last 3 days in the refrigerator. If you are setting it out for a BBQ or get together, I recommend keeping it cool. Simply add a couple of ice cubes to a larger bowl and place your smaller serving bowl of chicken salad inside.
Looking for More Sandwich Recipes
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, celery salt, and paprika. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add shredded chicken, red grapes, green onions, and cashews. Mix well and serve.
- Note: can be served on bread, croissants, tortillas, or a bed of lettuce.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.