Adding cream cheese to an amazing chocolate bundt cake makes for the best cake ever! I think you are going to flip over this Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling. If you love cakes, don’t miss my Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
I can’t say enough good things about this recipe. It has the perfect crumb, almost falling apart in your mouth. The eggs and buttermilk should be at room temperature. If you happen to be short on time, try dropping your eggs into warm water for about 5 minutes. If needed, you could heat up the buttermilk in the microwave in 10-second increments, stirring between each heating. It should not take more than 30 seconds. Or, if you have some time, make your own homemade buttermilk!
How to Prepare a Bundt Pan
There are a few ways you can prepare a bundt pan. Here are some options:
- Use GOOP (as grandma calls it) or Pan Release. The recipe is simple and when you make it can be stored right in the refrigerator. I spread a generous coat around the bundt pan with a pastry brush. One important aspect of using Goop is when to remove the bundt cake. I prefer to let the cake set in the pan for up to 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. When allowed to cool to room temperature in the pan, I have found that it doesn’t release as beautifully.
- You can also use the traditional butter + flour method, which is buttering the pan generously and then adding about a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. (Only use cocoa powder for chocolate cakes; otherwise, use all-purpose flour.) Slowly turn the pan around and around making sure the cocoa powder covers every nook and cranny. Tip it over a garbage can and shake out the excess.
- Baker’s spray is also an option, which is an aerosol pan release spray. The baker’s version states it contains flour, which seems to work best on cakes.
Coffee in Chocolate Cake?
I talk about this over and over again, so I apologize if I am a broken record. You cannot taste coffee in chocolate cakes, the addition of the hot crewed liquid simply enhances the cocoa flavor. If you do not drink coffee there are a couple of options; you can use hot water by itself or you can use espresso powder. If choosing the espresso powder, use about 2 teaspoons and mix it into the hot water.
How to Store Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
This Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling should be stored in an air-tight container or covered well in the refrigerator. It will last 2-3 days. Or, you could freeze the baked cake for up to 3 months.
More Chocolate Cakes
Chocolate Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
- 1 ¾ cups (375 g) granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups (219 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (65 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (109 g) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (173 g) sour cream
- ½ cup (123 g) buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ cup (119 g) freshly brewed hot coffee
Cream Cheese Filling
- 12 ounces (340 g) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 10-inch bundt pan by spraying it with Baker's spray, using the butter and flour method, or GOOP.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, sour cream, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the coffee, and whisk until the batter is completely combined. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a separate bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Add in the sugar and vanilla and stir until combined.
Assembly and Baking
- Pour HALF of the chocolate batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan (about 2½ cups).
- Spoon or scoop the cream cheese filling and carefully spread it evenly on top, avoiding the sides of the pan.
- Pour the remaining half of the chocolate batter evenly on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out mostly clean. (I like to use a long skewer here so that I can test the cake below the cream cheese.)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan. Invert the chocolate bundt cake onto a serving plate. Allow the cake to cool completely; then refrigerate for 2 hours.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Can I use regular salt
This cake looks absolutely delicious! I’ve never made a chocolate Bundt cake and I followed your recipe. However, the chocolate batter looks very runny unlike the pound cakes that I have made in the past which was very thick and dense. It’s in the oven and it smells so good!
I LOVE this cake! I have made it several times and even entered it in a church fall fest baking competition – it won 2nd place! My only complaint is that the cream cheese filling sinks to the bottom, making the top of the cake a bit of a mess. I solved this problem by pouring chocolate ganache on top! No one is the wiser!
Definitely 5 stars!
New family favorite!! I saved this pin a couple of years ago. I let the process intimidate me! It’s simple! And I am making it for the second time in a month!
This cake is calling my name. Thanks for the recipe!
What size bundt cake pan should I use. Looking on Amazon and there is a 9”, 91/2”,10” and so on. Since I typically use your recipes, I would like to buy the size you recommend.
The most amzing cake ever
Amazing cake! Don’t let the steps overwhelm you – simple, easy to understand instructions. I used plain full fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and brown sure in the cream cheese layer and it was DELICIOUS.
10/10 recommend – also a wonderful ‘freeze and serve’. I wrapped a couple slices in cling film, then aluminum foil and put in a freezer storage bag – let it defrost at room temp and blasted for a few seconds in the microwave. Great taste still!!
Can you use box cake mix instead? Then do the cream cheese middle as instructed.