Crazy Brownies are chewy brownies that are crazy good and just as crazy to make since they are made with NO milk, eggs, or butter! No frosting is needed, but you could sprinkle some confectioners sugar, or walnuts on top for a little bit of sweet crunch in each chocolatey bite. They are based on my Depression Cake, also known as Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake, made with (or should I say without😉) the same ingredients.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Flour: Use all-purpose flour in these brownies. I have not tested the recipe with other kinds of flour, so I cannot speak to their effectiveness.
Cocoa Powder: Unsweetened regular cocoa powder was used in this recipe. I also mixed a little cocoa powder with confectioners’ sugar to sprinkle over the cooled brownies before serving.
Vinegar: White distilled vinegar is added to the batter to react with the baking soda, causing the brownies to rise. The vinegar also helps activate the cocoa powder for a more chocolatey flavor.
Coffee: I highly recommend adding brewed coffee to these brownies. It will enhance the chocolate flavor without tasting like coffee. In a pinch, you could use water instead.
Can I Add Frosting to the Brownies?
Sure! If you do add frosting, just keep in mind that many are not dairy free (if that is a concern). Here are a few of my favorite frosting options:
The brownies don’t need any frosting, but it is fun to try different flavors!
How to Store Crazy Brownies
Once baked and cooled, store the brownies at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last 3-4 days. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, but that could cause the brownies to dry out. For even longer storage, freeze the brownies wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for up to 2-3 months.
- 1 ½ cups (187 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (29.5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- ⅓ cup (73 g) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125 g) brewed coffee (can use water)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- To the dry ingredients, add vanilla, vinegar, oil, and coffee. Using a spatula, mix until the ingredients are fully combined. The batter will be thick.
- Use your spatula to spread the batter out to the edges of the prepared baking dish. Top with walnuts, if using.
- Bake for 17-19* minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs, but no wet batter. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners' sugar with cocoa powder. Sift over the cooled brownies. Cut and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
What are Crazy Brownies?
Crazy Brownies are based on Depression Cake, also known as Wacky or Crazy Cake. It is a dessert made with ingredients that were hard to come by during the Great Depression and wartime. But, just because times are hard doesn’t mean we don’t deserve a sweet treat or dessert once in a while.