Tequila Strawberry Shortcake is a dessert that starts with homemade biscuits kicked up a notch with the addition of cornmeal and strawberries that are infused with tequila! Try this Strawberry Shortcake Recipe if you want a more traditional recipe.
Tequila Strawberry Shortcake
One thing that is uniquely different about this recipe is the addition of cornmeal. The cornmeal adds a slightly crunchy texture and a beautiful golden hue. It’s a really fabulous experience to have the slight texture of the biscuits and the smooth creamy whipped cream and strawberries. You need to try it just to know how awesome the combination is! If you want a traditional biscuit, try my Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits!
Tequila Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
There are three parts to this tequila strawberry shortcake recipe–homemade biscuits, infused strawberries, and whipped topping.
Biscuits: As stated, these biscuits are kicked up a notch by adding cornmeal to the mix.
Strawberries: I used fresh strawberries in this recipe. Be sure to wash and hull them. Instead of simply cutting off the tops straight across, insert a sharp knife at an angle and rotate the strawberry in a circle until the stem pulls out.
Whipped Topping: Cool whip is fine to use, but step it up a notch by making your own homemade whipped topping!
I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant to try this! (I am not a huge tequila drinker.) But this doesn’t taste like you are taking shots at the dinner table. 😂 The tequila adds something magical to the strawberries… just enhancing and magnifying their amazing sweetness and charm. If you don’t want to use tequila simply replace it with water.
Whipped Cream for Strawberry Shortcakes
Here is a fabulous homemade whipped cream recipe. If you are using homemade whipped cream be sure to serve immediately after assembling. For an even more decadent treat, warm the biscuits just before assembling! The strawberries and cold whipped topping will almost melt into the toasty biscuit creating the most fabulous taste sensation. You will have the perfect Strawberry Shortcake!
Looking for More Strawberry Desserts?
Cornmeal Biscuits with Strawberries
- 1½ cups (192g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (61g) yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick, 113g) cold butter, cut into chunks
- ⅔ cup (163g) whole milk, (I don't recommend skim milk for this recipe)
- ½ teaspoon McCormick vanilla extract
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon tequila, can also use bourbon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and vanilla; stir to form a soft dough. (If the dough is dry, add additional milk a tablespoon at a time.)
- Drop dough by ⅓ cupfuls about 2 inches apart onto the lined baking sheet, forming 8 biscuits. Flatten each biscuit slightly into a 2-inch round.
- Bake about 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- About 30 minutes before serving, toss strawberries with granulated sugar and tequila in a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- To serve, split biscuits. Place 1 biscuit bottom on each plate. Top each with about ½ cup strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Place the top of the biscuit over whipped cream and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Instead of Tequila use some orange juice!
Was looking for an easy biscuit and this worked so well! Opted not to use cornmeal, tho, so added more flour and turned out quite good. Also a good idea to soak the berries with tequila! Thanks much for a simple yet tasty recipe!