Pistachio Buttercream is a light and fluffy frosting made with just four simple ingredients, including a package of pistachio pudding mix. Be sure to try the buttercream on my Spumoni Cake.
After attempting to make this frosting from scratch, I finally decided to use a packaged pudding mix. Pistachio Buttercream tastes delicious with a salt and sweet flavor in every bite. Again, I made this specifically for my Spumoni cake, but I can’t wait to try it on some of my other recipes like my vanilla wafers.
Pistachio Buttercream Ingredients
This creamy frosting can be made with just four simple ingredients.
Butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature before making the buttercream.
Pistachio Pudding: You will just need a box of the dry pudding mix; no need to make the pudding.
Confectioners’ Sugar and Milk: The final process in this recipe is to alternate between adding the milk and remaining confectioners’ sugar until the buttercream reaches your desired consistency.
How to Make Pistachio Buttercream
This pistachio buttercream is so easy to make and would be delicious on all flavors of cake, from chocolate cake to vanilla cake to strawberry cake! To make the buttercream, first, cream the butter for about a minute until creamy. You can use a stand mixer or a handheld mixer.
Once the butter is smooth and creamy, add the pistachio pudding mix and one cup of the confectioners’ sugar. Mix on low until the ingredients have been incorporated. Finally, alternate between adding a tablespoon of milk and 1/2 cup of sugar until the buttercream reaches your desired consistency.
Looking for More Buttercream Recipes?
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) butter, room temperature
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) pistachio pudding mix
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons cold milk, divided
- Add butter to the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a handheld mixer) and beat on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Turn off mixer and add all the pistachio pudding mix and 1 cup of confectioners' sugar. Mix on low until ingredients are incorporated.
- Alternating the milk with the remaining sugar, add a tablespoon of milk at a time and a ½ cup of confectioners' sugar at a time until all ingredients are incorporated.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
And ALL CAKE. I want to EAT ALL THE CAKE and PISTACHIO BUTTERCREAM.
I will stop yelling now. But I still want to eat it all. And so will you!
Be sure to check out my new book, Surprise-Inside Cakes!