Roasted Broccoli Cheese Soup is a creamy and cheesy soup loaded with freshly roasted broccoli that is a delicious way to eat your vegetables! Try my Cheeseburger Soup for another rich and creamy soup.
Roasted Broccoli Cheese Soup
One of my favorite soups in the whole wide world is broccoli and cheese, and one of my favorite cheeses is Muenster. And my very favorite way to eat broccoli is roasted. So, with that being stated, this has to be one of my favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup recipes of all time!
Roasted Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe
The roasted broccoli and two kinds of cheese really put this creamy soup over the top.
I just love how that fresh roasted broccoli gives the soup an amazing extra layer of flavor and texture! There is something so magical about roasting it in the oven with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. It almost caramelizes the broccoli a bit, with crispy edges, yet a perfectly done center.
To roast the broccoli, preheat the oven to 400°F and place the broccoli florets in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast the broccoli for 15 minutes. Or, if you want the broccoli to be a little crispier, add an extra five minutes to the cooking time. After you have removed the broccoli from the oven, let the florets cool before you chop them up to add to the soup.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
While the broccoli is cooling, or even after you have chopped the roasted broccoli, it’s time to make the cheese soup. To make the soup, begin by melting the butter in a large pot. Next, add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Then, pour in the chicken broth and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
After the simmering, add all of the cheddar cheese and most of the Muenster cheese. I like to save a little bit of the Muenster cheese to use as garnish. After you add the cheeses, add the garlic powder and half and half. Cook on low while you dissolve the cornstarch in water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup, followed by the roasted broccoli, and continue cooking on low until the soup is thick and creamy. Serve hot with the reserved shredded Muenster cheese on top.
To freeze the soup, simply store in it in freezer-safe, zipped bags. And, don’t forget to label and date the bags.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 large (roughly 16 ounces) florets of fresh broccoli
- 2-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (113 g) salted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 7 cups (56 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups Muenster cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups (480 grams/ 16 ounces) half and half
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the broccoli florets in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the broccoli and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the broccoli for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your broccoli.
- When done and cooled slightly, finely chop the broccoli and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add in all of the cheddar cheese and most of the Muenster (reserving just enough for garnish). Then, add in the half and half and garlic powder, continuing to cook on low heat.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into water until it is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup mixture and combine.
- Add in the roasted chopped broccoli and continue to cook over low heat until soup is thick and creamy! Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.