Summertime is grilling time around here, and these Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs are fun and easy to put together, and better yet, they are such an easy clean-up that you won’t miss out on all the festivities! If you are looking for more grilling ideas, check out my Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs!
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs
Just like grilling is at its peak around here in the summertime, so is camping! Whether you are ‘roughing it’ or staying in a deluxe RV, you will more than likely be doing some grilling on your adventures. Foil packs are genius when it comes to grilling, whether you are camping or not! And with the Labor Day weekend fast approaching, why not try these Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs to satisfy your friends and family? Not only do foil packs allow for little clean-up, but they can also be made to order, so to speak. Who wants to think of portion control, especially on a holiday weekend? I don’t. But, the foil packs are a great way to control how much you eat-you can make them as large or as small as you would like!
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs Recipe
These Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs are similar to my Garlic Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs, but I added potatoes and corn along with my homemade cajun seasoning. To get started gather all of your ingredients:
- Shrimp: Use shrimp that is deveined and peeled, with the tail on. Having the shell removed allows for the spices to penetrate the shrimp for added flavor. If you buy frozen shrimp, let it thaw completely or run cold water over the shrimp before you toss the shrimp in the mixture.
- Andouille sausage: This sausage adds a cajun flavor to your foil pack and pairs well with the shrimp. You can substitute a kielbasa or Spanish chorizo sausage, but those won’t give you that cajun flare.
- Zucchini: (Courgette) We obviously prefer to use our garden zucchini, but if you have to purchase at the supermarket, select medium-sized zucchini that are firm and feel heavy for their size. They should be green or yellow with shiny skin.
- Red Peppers – Look for peppers that have firm and glossy skin.
- Corn Cobs – Peel back the husks slightly and look for plump, bright yellow or bright white kernels and tightly wrapped, green husks, with light and sticky silk.
- Red Potatoes – Choose firm potatoes with beautiful red color and not too many blemishes (some are ok though).
- Butter – Unsalted, so we can adjust as necessary.
- Freshly chopped Parsley – Look for vibrant green color with minimal yellowing or browning.
- Cajun Seasoning – You can buy this at the store, but making your own homemade cajun seasoning is so easy!
- Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil: Always choose the heavy-duty aluminum foil when you are grilling your foil packs. They help lock in the moisture and flavor, so you definitely don’t want it to tear! Also, when you are grilling over a campfire, you need the thicker foil to stand up to the heat.
How to Make Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs
These Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs are surprisingly easy to put together, and they are SO good! To prepare, start by parboiling your corn and potatoes. This quick boiling process will help ensure that everything cooks together evenly. Once those are cooked, toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl (except the parsley) and mix well.
Next, set out your aluminum foil squares. Make sure to set out a large section (about 18 inches) to ensure that you have enough space to wrap everything. Dump an equal portion of the mixture into each aluminum foil square. Fold the long sides of the foil together over the top of each mixture, turning it over twice to seal the contents. Fold up the ends and seal the packet closed. Set on a hot grill and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
Looking for More Summer Recipes?
Summertime is grilling time around here, and these Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs are fun and easy to put together, and better yet, they are such an easy clean-up that you won't miss out on all the festivities!
- 1 package (16 ounces) shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail on
- 1 pound andouille sausages, thickly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 red peppers, cut into one-inch chunks
- 2 corn cobs, cut into one-inch rounds
- 2 large red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- fresh chopped parsley
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 425° F)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add corn and cut potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes and then remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
Place 4-6 large pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil on the counter (about 18” long)
In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp, sausage, red peppers, potatoes, corn cobs, olive oil, and cajun seasoning until everything is evenly coated.
Divide the mixture between the four pieces of foil, piling it in the center of each piece.
Fold the long sides of the foil together over the top of the mixture, turning it over twice to seal the contents. Fold up the ends and seal the packet closed.
Repeat for all the packets.
Place the foil packets on the grill and cook undisturbed for 10-14 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through.
Open the foil packets carefully and serve hot with chopped parsley