Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are delectable chocolate cupcakes with a fine crumb and smooth texture, topped with homemade chocolate brownie frosting. Try my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins for another chocolate lover’s treat.
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
These Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are the answer to a question I have received many times…can I make your chocolate brownie cake into cupcakes? (Click the link, once you see it you will know what I am talking about it!) Well, the answer is now a definite yes! I stuck with the cake recipe but decided to go with my brownie frosting instead of the ganache. These cupcakes are as easy to make as they are delicious!
Cake Mix: Look for a box mix of chocolate cake mix. Do not follow the instructions on the box; you will only use the mix.
Brownie Mix: Just like the cake mix, you will only use the mix, following my instructions in the recipe.
Frosting: When making the frosting, start with just a little bit of heavy cream, adding more until the frosting reaches your desired consistency.
Can I Make these Into a Chocolate Cake?
Yep! In fact, as I stated above, this recipe was adapted from my chocolate brownie cake! I had been bombarded with questions about using the cake recipe to make cupcakes. Well, here you go! I did use brownie frosting instead of ganache, but both would be options here.
How to Store Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last 3-4 days. You can refrigerate the cupcakes as well, where they will last up to a week. If freezing the baked cupcakes, do this before adding the frosting. They will last up to 3 months.
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix,
- 1 box (18.3 ounces) fudge brownie mix,
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1¼ cup (296g) water
- 1 cup (207g) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (59g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375g) confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup (119g) heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry chocolate cake mix, dry fudge brownie mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil. Whisk for 2 minutes, or until lumps are mostly gone.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about ⅔ full. Bake for 18-22 minutes*.
- When done baking, remove cupcakes and allow to cool in the muffin tin for up to five minutes. Carefully place cupcakes on a cooling rack and cool for 30 more minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (a hand mixer works excellently here as well), combine room temperature butter, cocoa, honey, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar.
- Turn mixer on low and let it combine the ingredients for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the cream, a little at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. You may not need all of the cream, or you may need a little more. It can vary from season to season and kitchen to kitchen.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cupcakes and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.