This delicious, quick, and easy Cookie Dough Frosting is a fantastic (and quick!) way to indulge your cookie cravings! If you love frosting be sure to try my Buttercream Frosting and Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cookie Dough Frosting & Raw Flour
This recipe has been very controversial on my blog… and not because of raw egg because there is none of that. But because of the “raw” flour. You will, of course, want to make your own best-educated choice. (See Yes, it’s OK to Eat Raw Flour for more information.)
If you have any hesitancy at all about eating raw flour, simply place flour on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350°F. Easy peasy!
No matter how you make it, this Cookie Dough Frosting has the texture of silk and completely melts in your mouth. And because it is so fast, you can quench any chocolate chip cookie craving is just moments!
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
I used far more milk than the original recipe suggested. The reason I did this is that the frosting was being used in a layer cake and it was far too hard to spread as-is. So I doubled the milk to achieve a much creamier and smoother frosting. I highly recommend that for use on cakes! If you just want to put a big dollop on a cupcake, try halving the milk and seeing if you prefer that consistency.
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
As I mentioned above, this cookie dough recipe was modified so that I could use it on cakes. If you use less milk, you will see a more “traditional” cookie dough, one that needs to be scooped rather than spread.
Instead of chocolate chips, you can add in whatever you have on hand!
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Nuts (such as macadamia)
- Cocoa powder for more chocolate flavor
Be sure to check out how I used this fabulous recipe in a Chocolate Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookie!
I also used this recipe in an OUT OF THIS WORLD Brownie Cookie Dough Cake.
Creamy Cookie Dough Frosting
- 1 ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cups (2 sticks or 226 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons McCormick vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet miniature chocolate chips
- Beat brown sugar and butter together in stand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add in flour, vanilla extract, and salt into creamed butter until fully combined.
- With mixer on low speed, and in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and add in mini chocolate chips. Stir by hand until incorporated.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
I am thankful that Kara from Kara’s Koutour Cakes addressed the “raw flour” issue. I could not agree with her more! SEE IT HERE