Adorable Monster Cupcakes using plant, seed, and vegetable-based food colors that are as easy as they are delicious! These colorful cupcakes will be a hit at your next party, and they are perfect for Halloween! For more cupcake recipes, try my Pumpkin Buttercream Cupcakes with Chocolate Halloween Toppers and my Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Whipped Cream!
There is no reason to be afraid of these Monster Cupcakes! In fact, it may be hard to get anyone to eat them because of how colorful and cute they are!!! However, once you tell them that they are made with my Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes, I think they will come around to eating more than one! Being creative with food is so much fun, and it’s something the entire family can enjoy together!
Monster Cupcakes Recipe
You guys. YOU GUYS!! (This is worth yelling about!)
I have been looking for years for a food color without artificial dyes that produces beautiful and vibrant color. This new product from McCormick is it! It is made with ingredients from nature like plants, vegetables, and seeds. We can finally achieve a bright color with a convenient product!
To make these cupcakes you will need to first make my Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes. Then, it’s all about the Monster buttercream and ‘accessories’.
Chocolate Cupcakes Ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Vanilla Extract
- Sour cream
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
Monster Buttercream Ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- McCormick Nature from Color Food Color
- Marshmallows, large and small
- Pull and peel licorice
- Candy eyes
- Mini candy-coated chocolate pieces
How to Make Monster Cupcakes
As soon as you have baked your Chocolate Cupcakes and prepared the Monster Buttercream, it’s time to start decorating! I have given directions as to how I decorated a few of the Monster Cupcakes. The numbers are referring to the decorator’s tip that I used for each one. If you are like me and sometimes ‘misplace’ your decorating tips, I have some organizational advice for you here.
Decorating the Monster Cupcakes
Looking for More Cupcake Ideas?
Adorable Monster Cupcakes using plant, seed, and vegetable-based food colors that are as easy as they are delicious!
- 1/2 cup (113g) 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream room temperature
- 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (227) unsalted butter
- 1 two-pound bag powder sugar about 7-8 cups
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 pkg McCormick Color from Nature Food Color
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, so prepare one pan (or maybe two) with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk on medium speed until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the stand mixer and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low.
- As soon as you are done adding the flour turn the mixer off. (You do not want to over-mix!)
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
- Put room temperature butter, vanilla, and salt into mixer. Add in powder sugar one cup at a time, alternating with the milk until you have used it all.
- If your frosting is too thick you can certainly add more milk.
- Equally divide buttercream into four bowls.
- BLUE: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Sky Blue food color packet to bowl.
- PINK: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Berry food color packet to bowl.
- YELLOW: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Sunflower food color packet to bowl.
- GREEN: Add 1 teaspoon Sky Blue and 1 teaspoon Sunflower to make green.
- Gently stir to combine