I wanted to make this cake to show a little bit of my “behind the scenes” process. (Video below) I often work with clients who request certain recipes and ingredients and the process from conception to completion is often long! We start by brainstorming, then I shop for ingredients, then I bake and prepare the recipe. After the recipe is made, I need to style and photograph it, which is such a fun part! After photographing (and sometimes doing a video which takes many more hours!) I will edit photos. After photos are edited then I will share all on my social media; Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. And then… we get to enjoy it! The entire process can take over 10 hours and be over the course of days. But it’s worth it… I do love my job!
One Bowl Chocolate Fruit Cake
I hope you enjoy the video below. There are a lot of Olivia cameo’s, which makes sense because she never leaves my side! <3
To make this cake you will need:
- 0ne bowl chocolate cake recipe (below)
- whipped cream (below)
- fresh fruit
- baby’s breath (optional)
- small offset spatula
- cake stand
I double this recipe so that I would have plenty of whipped cream.
Begin by making the cakes. Allow to cool.
Prepare whipped cream.
Wash and dry all fresh fruit.
Set 8-inch round cake on cake stand. Spread about 1 cup of whipped cream over the cake with offset spatula. Set 6-inch cake off-center. Cover in whipped cream.
Place the fruit on the lower edge of the cake. Then place more fruit on the opposite top edge of the 6-inch cake.
If you want, you can add in baby’s breath around the fruit.
So simple, yet such a lovely way to serve!
For this cake I made in the video I divided the batter between one 8-inch pan and one 6-inch pan. An average bake/shoot day is usually about 10 hours, and can sometimes happen over the course of a couple days. And sharing on social media is a never-ending process! 🙂
I really hope you enjoyed this little snippet into my process. I would love to share more like this; often times the outtakes are the best memory makers!
To make this recipe into a 4 layer cake just bake in two 8-inch round cake pans. After the cake has cooled, divide each layer in two. Top with chocolate buttercream, whipped cream, and the fruit of your choice!
This One Bowl Chocolate Cake comes together quickly and tastes amazing!
- 3/4 c unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 c warm coffee
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
- 1 c cold heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans. Add cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and then pour into the bowl of a mixer. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Slowly add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until soft peaks are just about to form. Add in vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Make sure not to over-beat.