Almond Cake is a tender and moist cake that is easy to make and full of almond flavor, topped with sliced almonds for a nutty crunch. No glaze or frosting is needed; the cake is that good on its own! Check out my homemade almond paste to use in this recipe.
Almond Cake is a simple round cake that is full of almond flavor from the almond paste, almond extract, and even more almonds on top! It is perfectly delicious as-is, but you could always add a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar on top.
Flour: You will need a cup of all-purpose flour for this recipe. You could also use gluten-free flour if preferred, although we have not tested that in this recipe.
Almond Paste: Be sure to use almond paste, not marzipan, for this recipe. It is easy to confuse the two, but the paste is best for baking.
Almond Extract: Of course, I had to add almond extract for even more flavor!
Almonds: Look for sliced almonds to top the cake. (You could leave them off the top, but they do add lots of flavor and a nutty crunch I love.)
What are some Optional Toppings?
As I stated above, you can’t go wrong with a little confectioners’ sugar sprinkled on top of the cake. However, there are some more ideas that would also be delicious. Here are a few of my favorites:
But, again, the cake is just as delicious without any added toppings, too!
How to Store Almond Cake
This cake can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. It is still delicious after a couple of days, for sure!
Can I Freeze this Cake?
Yes! In fact, this cake freezes quite well. First, let the cake cool completely. Next, wrap it in plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Label and date the packaging; it will last in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, transfer the frozen cake to the refrigerator to thaw.
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup (7 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks / 170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (46 g) sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat together the almond paste and sugar until small crumbs form.
- Add butter and continue to beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond extract and the eggs, one at a time, fully combining between each addition.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, making sure not to overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over the top* and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, but a few crumbs are okay.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before dusting with confectioners' sugar (if using), cutting, and serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.