Apple Hand Pies are fried mini apple pies with a homemade pie crust loaded with apple pie filling and topped with a sweet glaze. They are a fun and easy way to enjoy individual apple pies. Try my Apple Turnovers for another fun and delicious way to get all the taste from a traditional apple pie with a flaky pastry crust.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pie Crust: Apple Hand Pies If you want to add your own touch to the dessert, you can make your own homemade pie crust. Or, use 2 storebought pie crusts.
Apple Pie Filling: For the tastiest results, use homemade apple pie filling. However, the store-bought filling would also work in this recipe.
Baking Hand Pies in the Oven
To bake the hand pies in the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the assembled hand pies onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes at 400°F. And then, don’t forget about the glaze!
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
To save on the mess and extra calories, these apple hand pies can surely be made in an air fryer! To make them, follow the instructions to make the hand pies. But, instead of heating up the oil, spray the basket of an air fryer with nonstick cooking spray.
Place a few of the apple hand pies into the basket, spraying the tops with cooking spray. Air fry for about 5 minutes at 360°F. Flip them over and air fry them for another 4 minutes. Repeat with any remaining hand pies. They will be golden brown when done. Don’t forget to add the glaze!
Can I Make Other Flavors of Hand Pies?
Absolutely! We have made (and loved) cherry hand pies with my cherry pie filling. Blueberry (the filling used in this blueberry pie) would also be amazing! Folks have really enjoyed Pumpkin Hand Pies as well as Glazed Pumpkin Cream Cheese Hand Pies.
How to Store Apple Hand Pies
Store the cooked hand pies in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for 2-3 days.
Apple Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies
- 4 cups (250 g) confectioners' sugar
- 5-7 tablespoons whole milk, or more or less until glaze reaches your desired consistency, room temperature
Apple Hand Pies
- Roll out the pie crusts to ⅛-inch thick and use a cookie cutter to cut the crust into 4-5-inch rounds. (You should get 26-28 pie crust rounds.)
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of apple pie filling to each round. (If you made your own apple pie filling, let it cool before adding to the crust.)
- Fold each mini pie crust (half-moon shape), rubbing water around to edge to help seal it. Crimp with a fork.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and 3 tablespoons milk in a bowl until smooth and creamy. If too thick, add in another tablespoon milk. Set aside.
Frying Apple Hand Pies
- Fill a frying pan 2-3 inches with oil. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches 375°F with a candy thermometer.
- Place 2-3 apple hand pies into the pan. Fry until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel-lined cooling rack.
- While the hand pies are still warm, coat with the glaze. You can coat the pies by drizzling the glaze over each pie or dipping each pie into the bowl of glaze using a large fork. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.